Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I'm going to get some more fish, but the biggest empty tank I have is a 30" 20 gallon long.

Would it be realistic to quarantine a group of 10 unsexed juvenile mbuna between 1.5 and 2.5 inches in this tank for at least a month?

·
Super Moderator
40,481 Posts
Welcome to Cichlid-forum!

I would not add 10 fish all at once to an existing tank anyway, and given that you have a 20L why not buy five this month and five next month?

I would not want to quarantine 10 mbuna that are 2.5 inches long in a 20L...not ideal. What species?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not 100% sure on the species yet, but two I'd really like to get are Maison Reef and Msobo Magunga. Possibly one more species. I would not be saving fry in the main tank. I have a group of 5 petricola that will hopefully take care of that for me.

I actually have 2 of the 20 gallon long tanks, but wanted to know how many I can put in each.

The reason I don't want to get them all at once is that I live in Canada and shipping is **** expensive up here. I could go pick them up myself, but it would require a ferry ride even more expensive than shipping.

All I want is 1 male and 4 or 5 females of each species, but they are all unsexed. I've spoken to the owner and he says even though some of the larger ones are probably showing sex at 2.5" he won't offer me sexed groups. So I basically have no choice but to buy a 2hole bunch and try to rehome extra males as they mature.

·
Super Moderator
40,481 Posts
I would not expect the maison reef and msobo to get along in the main tank...in addition to any hybrid problem which you have identified and addressed.

What are the dimensions of the main tank and how many fish are already there? Would it be easier to move THEM to the two 20L tanks and put all the newbies in the destination tank?

I would buy 8 of each and ask for the 1.5" fish and put 8 in each 20L.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you thinking there would be aggression issues between the two Metriaclima species due to the somewhat similar appearance of the males? I was hoping they looked different enough that it wouldn't be an issue.

So here's my current situation. I'll try to keep it as short as possible...

I have a 40 breeder that has been stocked since last October. My current stock list consists of 5 Petricola (3-4") and 8 OB Fuelleborni (2.5".) It's looking like I got somewhat lucky with only two male Fuelleborni, although I would rather just one.

I initially intended to just quarantine everybody in this tank for a few months and transfer them into my empty 75 gallon when I move to my new place, but due to certain factors, it looks like I won't be moving for a while yet. I would have expected that things might get hectic in this tank by now, but it's been great so far.

I've decided however, to just go ahead and stock the 75 before I move, since I might be here for a while.

I know I could transfer the Petricola and Fuelleborni to the 75 now and use the 40 to quarantine the new guys, but I was hoping to keep everybody where they are in the 40 gallon, quarantine the new guys in the 20L tanks while cycling the 75 with ammonia, and introduce all fish to the 75 at the same time.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I suppose I could do 8 of each. I just really want to make sure I don't end up with less than 4 females. Nothing worse than buying a group and having a poor ratio, and then not being able to get more females, as most of the species I want are not always available up here.

·
Super Moderator
40,481 Posts
Why not quarantine the new fish in the 75G since it is empty?

They do look different, but they are still both Metriaclima. The Maison Reef have a rep for being quite aggressive. I would probably do 1m:7f for them.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What are your thoughts about a group of 1:7 Maingano with either Maison Reef or Msobo?

I'd also like to keep the Fuelleborni, as I really like them. Will definitely get rid of one of the males if he becomes a problem.

I've been looking for Maingano for a long time and finally just found a source.

·
Super Moderator
40,481 Posts
Maingano would be fine. I'd go with the Msobo for the colorful females.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's good to know. I really like Maingano.

As far as quarantine in the 75, that is an option, but I plan to dose some medications before adding my existing fish, and meds are astronomically priced up here when you can find them.

I still have to work out some logistics, but I may end up just doing that.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to give me some advice.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts