Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a fairly new 55 gallon all-male peacock/hap tank going. Fish have only been in the tank for 3 weeks (since the fishless cycle completed). So far I've got:

1 stuartgranti (unknown)
1 OB
1 firefish
1 Red Empress
1 Mdoka Flametail

The peacocks are all about 3" and the Empress (who seems to be the boss) is about 4". About 60 lbs. of rocks break up lines of sight and give them places to hide. They're starting to get more and more aggressive toward each other, chases are becoming more frequent. No torn fins or anything yet. I know adding more fish should curb the aggression so I'm going to add 3 more soon, and 2-3 more later on.

Should I quarantine any new fish before adding them to the main tank? I'm wondering if it'd be better to just get new fish in there asap to cut down on the aggression. I've read that new fish should be in quarantine for anywhere from 2 weeks to 90 days, and I don't want anyone to get too beat up during the QT period. If my current 5 are getting feisty with each other after 3 weeks, I'm guessing I'll run into the same problem in a quarantine tank (this will be a 40g breeder with a sponge filter and some fake plants, and I also have a 10g I can use as a hospital/jail).

Also, any suggestions on what else to add? Seems like the tank could use a bit more yellow, red, and white. I like haps but it seems like most of them will outgrow a 55g. I have a 135g that I haven't decided what to do with yet, but I think I want to use it for something other than African (or at least, Malawi) cichlids.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I would definitely quarantine all new fish for 2-3 weeks; a 40 gallon breeder should be good for that period of time. You could try rearranging the rocks in your tank; "new" looking surroundings may throw off the balance of power briefly. I rearranged my Demasoni tank weekly until the fish settled down and a pecking order was established. No suggestions on stocking; I keep Mbuna. The general rule is no look-a-likes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good call on moving some rocks around. I forgot that a rock fell over last week and everyone calmed down for a little while afterward :D.

I was hoping to get the quarantine tank set up with some fish this weekend but the dudes in my main tank seem to have internal parasites. Water parameters are good and the tank is new so I'm pretty sure someone came from the LFS that way. Probably not a great idea to seed the QT with any media from the main tank with that being the case.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts