Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't really have the funds to have a separate QT tank, so was wondering if I should be thinking of doing a SW dip with my next fish (likely goldhead compressicep) is not a bad idea. I also have a small 5 gallon tank that is currently home to a dwarf Gourami and 2 danios. The danios are going in my main tank as a dither pretty soon, so could I use the 5 gallon as a sort of QT?
It's fully cycled and fish in good shape
Thanks

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
You definitely could use the 5gal as a QT.

The gourami will be fine in a bowl or whatnot until you finish medicating (then do a 100% water change or add carbon to the filter).

·
Super Moderator
40,517 Posts
Maybe the 5G has no filter/heater? A salt water dip is not going to kill the most common thing we QT for...ich. Or really much of anything probably, as I have never seen it recommended as a treatment.

I'd just skip it. The risk is the fish in your show tank which may be worth more than the investment in a QT tank. Or not add fish...again to save the $$.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
True. definitely needs heater.

I assumed it had a filter since she said it was cycled - I just use a small sponge filter on my 5 gallon.

·
Super Moderator
40,517 Posts
Then nothing wrong with using the 5G but I would not treat unless a disease is observed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts