Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I hope to take delivery of my first tank a 5'x2'x2' and sump 89x50x45cm hopefully in March pending house renovation to house south and or central american cichlids.

I currently only have a 60cm x 40cm x 40cm (90 litre) tank I set up as a quarantine tank I am fishless cycling with nitrite and nitrate readings using my API test kit of 5ppm nitrite and 20ppm nitrate. My cycle has taken a long time despite using seachem stability but a bit more patience and cycle will finally complete :)

My question Re my quarantine tank is how do I seed my new 5ft tank when I only have the QT running with 1 x sponge filter and no substrate or rock etc, I only have PVC piping for fish to hide.

I want to keep the QT running so I can add new fish here first to medicate and observe for 2 to 4 weeks before adding to 5ft tank so the sponge filter needs to remain in the QT going forward and I may keep this small tank running in case needed.

When the cycle in QT is complete I want to add a small green terror (or two) and leave in QT for 2 to 4 weeks but when this time has passed how best to seed my new 5ft tank?

-I do not want to add anyone's or fish store media or substrate
-Could I add a second smaller sponge filter to QT then move across to seed 5ft tank?
-Or is there another better way to ensure new 5ft tank has sufficient bacteria ready for when I add the one or two fish removed from the QT.

I have ordered 5kg of biohome ultimate media and a biohome sump brick both rated at 100L per KG - my system with sump will be approx 600 litres could I place some of the biohome media or the sump brick in the QT and then move this across to my 5ft tank's sump later perhaps?

I would appreciate any advice or suggestions on this.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks DJRansome. I will stock more than the two Green Terrors I mentioned but only after waiting and QT new fish.

I am tempted by an Oscar and Jack Dempsey's appeal also as do Jaguar cichlids.

I will add more fish later each time using the QT before adding to display tank.

I had not considered substrate in QT as I believed this would hinder clearing up any disease newly purchased fish might have for example ich. I just wanted to have substrate in the display tank.

I will follow your suggestion regarding sponge filter and be patient with new fish additions.

All the best to you.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts