Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've occasionally notice some stringy white poop over the past year or so. Fish look healthy, and there are no other signs of problems. Is this symptom by itself an indication of anything, or is it just normal?

·
Super Moderator
40,529 Posts
It means the fish on that occasion is passing mucous instead of fecal matter.

This can be normal on occasion or people see feces with some solid food colored sections and some clear sections. Normal.

If the fish passes nothing but mucous it can mean food is not moving through the digestive system. Something that catches your attention and causes you to look for issues. If he is also not eating then it is likely a symptom of a blockage.

A common illness people refer to as bloat can have symptoms of not eating and thready white or clear feces.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that explanation. I didn't know it was mucous. And yeah I've always seen it with bits of normal feces. And I always pay close attention to how the fish is eating after seeing that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Im in Canada with no medications available due to the government putting a ban- any suggestions for me? I've lost 6 fish already

·
Super Moderator
40,529 Posts
Epsom salt can help if some of your fish are still healthy. Isolate any aggressive fish. Can your vet prescribe metronidazole for your fish?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm also in Canada, and it seems that some people are still able to get meds like metro. I'm not sure if they found some kind of loophole, or done something illegal, so I'm curious how they're doing that. But it sure makes me try to be as proactive as I can with my fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
just ordered some general cure from ebay and it seems to be shipping...keep you posted if it actually makes it into Canada

·
Registered
26 Posts
DJRansome said:
Epsom salt can help if some of your fish are still healthy. Isolate any aggressive fish. Can your vet prescribe metronidazole for your fish?
how much epsom salt per 50 gallons would you use?

·
Super Moderator
1,862 Posts
patcage said:
DJRansome said:
1 tablespoon per 5 gallons of water. Dissolve the Epsom salts in a separate container of either fresh or tank water and add to the aquarium over the course of 6 to 8 hours. Be sure to use only plain unscented Epsom salts.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Deeda said:
patcage said:
DJRansome said:
1 tablespoon per 5 gallons of water. Dissolve the Epsom salts in a separate container of either fresh or tank water and add to the aquarium over the course of 6 to 8 hours. Be sure to use only plain unscented Epsom salts.
Thank you Deeda!

·
Super Moderator
40,529 Posts
You pretty much always wait 3 weeks after the last symptom.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Still waiting on meds I ordered online. Not even sure if they will cross the border. I've lost all my fish at this point

·
Registered
26 Posts
DJRansome said:
You pretty much always wait 3 weeks after the last symptom.
If *** lost all my fish white waiting for the meds should I dose the meds anyway when I finally do them in case there is any parasites in the substrate?

·
Super Moderator
40,529 Posts
Sorry for your loss. No need to dose meds if there are no fish. The "parasites" are always present in healthy fish...they just multiply when the fish is stressed and immune system is compromised.

I would not put johannii in this tank when you restock...the tank is a little too small for them.

I would still wait three weeks however.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
patcage said:
Still waiting on meds I ordered online. Not even sure if they will cross the border. I've lost all my fish at this point
Sorry to hear about your losses.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.