Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a Phython back in 2000 and it worked great it had so much suction it would even suck up gravel and carry it to the sink. I could clean anything on the bottom.

Well I just got a 55 gallon and set it up w/ PFS and lace rock. I had a little debris from the lace rock and for some reason the Python cant suck it up off of the sand. Its tinny pieces of leaves no bigger than a piece of 1mm fish food.

*** tried 2 Pythons and both do the same, I tried my kitchen sink and my bath room sink which is lower than the kitchen with the same results. If it cant even pick this up how the **** is it supposed to pick up fish ****??

Any ideas of whats causing it not to pick it up?

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
The siphon works by the weight of the water flowing downhill. If there isn't some other factor like kinks or stopped up hoses, I would guess you may have a different setup as far as how high the start is over the output end. A different tank or stand height might account for this. Any way to find a lower place to let the water out? Bathroom stool, tub, out the door?

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Does water flow through it?

·
Banned
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Glaneon said:
Does water flow through it?
Yes it fills and ciphens water out just fine...it just cant pick up stuff off the surface of the sand. Maybe once I get my filter and powerhead hooked up it'll be ok. If not I'll try to clean it using a bucket with a tube to ciphen or I'll buy a battery powered gravel vac.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
If you are dealing with picking up reasonably small light stuff there may be a way to increase what it will pick up. Do you have a larger diameter end tube? To increase the velocity (speed) of the water going into the end of the tube you can reduce the size of the opening. One way to check to see that this is a solution for you is to cover part of the end. If it's a 2 inch opening now try covering half of it. Even just putting a piece or two of Scotch tape over the end will tell you what size hole will get you the water speed to pick up like you want. Lowering the outlet end is the better way if that would be possible.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Had a mishap with my python a while back and ended up having to get a new hose for it, larger diameter (had to clamp onto the vacuum nozzle).
Well, the first time I vacuumed (using buckets) I nearly flooded the basement. The 5 gallon bucket filled in about 45-60 seconds, I couldn't believe how fast the water flowed or how quickly it sucked up detritus.
Anyway, I've since gotten used to it and I've saved myself a lot of vacuuming time, just gotta move fast with the vacuum end and keep a close eye on the bucket level.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Rather than doing the bucket deal, there might be a better way. Have you got a lower drain anywhere that the tubing could be extended to reach. Bathtubs are always low if they are reachable. Tie a big weight on the tube end so it will stay in the tub and the water will wizz right out. Basement floor drains are nice.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
No drains within reach. I'll be putting in new faucets in the laundry room next month.
Actually, my story was a solution for a low suction velocity vacuum.
Wider diameter hose = Faster flow and more suction.

·
Banned
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got it....I bought a 10ft extension w/ the Python and I used the extension w/ a 5 gallon bucket and it was a piece of cake picking up the debris. It took less than a minute.

I was eyeballing the bathroom sink before I posted but after I posted I measured it it was a 1" higher than the tank , guess that solved that problem. :oops:

Merry Christmas everyone!! Santa brought my 4yr old daughter 4ft doll house, guess what Im doing tonight? :p

·
Banned
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
PfunMo said:
A problem solved? That's a pretty nice present. Enjoy the rest of the holidays! Anybody want to fix my printer problem?
I have enough problems with certain electronics myself. If I help ya I'm liable to blow it up. :)

Enjoy the rest of the holidays as well!!

·
Registered
161 Posts
I had to return my python, i spoke of this in another thread..but My tank is downstairs and closest faucett is up a flight of stairs and in the kitchen. Long story short...if your tubing is longer than 25 feet it takes forever to drain the water out of the python after you're done. it was so frustrating.

so today i bought a 25tf aqueon and went to lowes bout another 25 feet of tubing clamped it with an adapter. I cannot drain tank because of location but I can fill it because it's going down hill.

so now for water changes i'll have to drain with buckets and fill with my python only. If your tank is not on same level as your sink forget it...draining is impossible.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.