Heard this is not the correct way? Supposed to have
separate container
Treat water in container
Then add back to tank..

What are your experiences?

·
Registered
161 Posts
I've been doing the same way as you for years now without any problems. My PH from my tap is the same as my tank. I just make sure temp is close and add Prime to the tank directly equal to the total volume of tank water, not just equal to the amount of water being replaced.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I do the same thing. Right from the tap. No issues andI have been doing it for years as well. I check my levels at least once a week and it is always good.

·
2,088 Posts
Same thing here - i drain outside, then connect hose to kitchen sink and fill tank. I add 90% of the water treatment when the flow starts, and the last 10% at the very end. If I am adding salt, I do it in 3 stages as well.

This system has worked for me for >15 yrs.

That said, I am not keeping discus, or other overly delicate species. If I were, I'd probably go the storage tank route.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I'm considering running an experiment. I have access to a pocket chlorimeter. It tests the free chlorine in the water. I'm going to test the water out of the tap to get a static residual. Then I will fill a pail, add de-chlore, stir and test. No doubt I will get 0 chlorine. Then I will add de-chlor to existing tank, start a fill and check levels a few times. If it comes out 0 instantly, we can put this issue to bed, using an actual experiment with highly accurate instruments.

I'll report back or make a new thread when I do this.

Regards

·
Registered
305 Posts
PauloSilva said:
I'm considering running an experiment. I have access to a pocket chlorimeter. It tests the free chlorine in the water. I'm going to test the water out of the tap to get a static residual. Then I will fill a pail, add de-chlore, stir and test. No doubt I will get 0 chlorine. Then I will add de-chlor to existing tank, start a fill and check levels a few times. If it comes out 0 instantly, we can put this issue to bed, using an actual experiment with highly accurate instruments.

I'll report back or make a new thread when I do this.

Regards
cool - can't wait.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
I have been using a Python hose for a few years now, just flowing water back
in from the tap after treating tank.
Trust your experience and the experience of many others that have been doing it this way for years also.

I did an experiment one time when I had to sanitize a 30 gallon fry rearing tub. I added about a cup or so of chlorine bleach. Tested off the chart for chlorine, of course. I added some dechlor and stirred gently for a few seconds. Chlorine then read 0. The stuff does work very quickly. Adding directly from the tap via the python is fine.

·
Registered
117 Posts
When I add directly to the tank from the tap, the species of fry I'm keeping get shocked and sit on the bottom for a few hours (Black Calvus).
If I fill a 45 gallon Brute garbage pail,add Prime to it, and then fill the tank,the fish behave normally.
I've done the other way for years as well. Like nodima said, depends on your species.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I have done the same way for 20+ yrs. Funny thing that I have noticed; most of my fish will swim rite up to the python. Rite up into the incoming tap water. Just a thought.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts