Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a few weeks away from setting my tank up (just waiting for the stand to be delivered) but suddenly had a brain wave in anticipation of priming my canister. If I inserted the python hose into the the canister output hose (I just checked and if fits in nice and snug) could I run the python as I would when I'm draining water out of the tank to pull the water out of the tank through the input hose, into the canister and out through the output into the sink (or at least till I see the water in the canister's output hose)? Once the flow is happening I would close the quick release tap valves, connect the the output hose back to the spray bar, open the valves and plug in the canister.

Could this work?

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Should think it would work but it will depend on the suction of the Python being enough. There may be an easier way depending on what canister you have. On my Ehiem 2217 I normally leave the hoses full of water and there is no problem repriming. But there are times when I take the hoses off to clean them and they are then empty. I close the shut off valve, take the hose to a faucet and fill the hose. Once it is back on the tank and canister, I open all the valves and water runs in to fill the can forcing air out as it does. Once the can is full the Ehiem takes over when turned on, draws water in and pumps it out to the tank. If your can works like this, fill the input hose with the Python on fill and the water will then siphon down into the canister. Hope that makes sense??? This will have the advantage of using house water pressure to fill rather than relie on the Python suction to be enough.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, PfunMo. That does make sense. I have the Eheim 2262. It's a pretty big canister and I've been wondering about my lungs' capacity to pull water through the thing.

·
Registered
161 Posts
speaking of python..I got one for christmas and the person who got it for me ordered a 100ft which was way to long for what I needed. I tried to use it anyway and it was just way to long. Would not suck all the way out. it like stopped in the middle and would not continue through hose to my faucett. Very frustrating, also their is still water in the tube which I cannot get out. I have to exchange it now for a 50ft...anyone else have any problems with python not working properly because it's just to long and all coiled up.

They told me at Fosters that if there is too much slack and the hosing gets coiled that that is probably why it's not performing the vacum suckage :p

Hopefully the 50 will work for me. The tank is downstairs and the sink is upstairs. So it does have to go up a small flight of stairs. If this doesn't work, it's old school with lugging buckets up and down the stairs.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm fortunate in that the sink is about 10 feet from the tank. I have the 25 foot Aqueon version of the python and might end up trimming the hose a bit to reduce the coiling up of the hose. I get a lot of suction from the hose (the 15 gallon I'm cycling could be drained in a couple of minutes if I wanted that)...just wish I could get more solid attachments (i.e. brass) so that the threads didn't strip and the unit didn't crack as most people who use these gadgets eventually experience.

·
Registered
929 Posts
As PfunMo pointed out, all you really need to prime is the intake hose. Gravity should take care of the rest once the double tap is connected and opened up. At least this is how it works with my 2215’s. To prime the intake, the Eheim Suction Starter works well enough for me – I’m not brave enough to use my mouth for the task. :lol:

·
Registered
406 Posts
funnyjew2 said:
Hopefully the 50 will work for me. The tank is downstairs and the sink is upstairs. So it does have to go up a small flight of stairs. If this doesn't work, it's old school with lugging buckets up and down the stairs.
The python and all the other brands need gravity to help it with the suction so having the sink up a flight of stairs is going to be tough for you. Here's what I would suggest, use the python to only fill up your tanks and purchase a utility pump and a 50ft garden hose. Attach the hose to the pump, put the pump in a large bucket and tie the end of the garden house to the python faucet adapter. Use a regular 6 ft siphon and start siphoning the water into the bucket, then turn the pump on and it pumps the water upstairs to you sink.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1 ... ogId=10053

Also to get water out of your python, stand in front of your sink, turn on the faucet to start the suction, then from the end of the python lift it above the sink and pull the hose through until you get close to the faucet adapter. This will empty your python. Hopefully that makes sense.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
jason_nj said:
Also to get water out of your python, stand in front of your sink, turn on the faucet to start the suction, then from the end of the python lift it above the sink and pull the hose through until you get close to the faucet adapter. This will empty your python.
This works like a charm for me. The longer the hose though, the more time consuming this step takes (another reason I'm thinking of trimming it down to a shorter length).

·
Registered
161 Posts
zimmy said:
jason_nj said:
Also to get water out of your python, stand in front of your sink, turn on the faucet to start the suction, then from the end of the python lift it above the sink and pull the hose through until you get close to the faucet adapter. This will empty your python.
I think I tried this with my wife, but it's so darn long and coiled up. It;'s a mess. when i get the 50 if all I could use it for is to fill it up the tank..then I'll take it. If I jhave to empy buckets one way I'm cool with that. It is what it is

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
funnyjew2

No drains downstairs? No doors to the outside? Seems there should be some place to put the hose end lower than the tank to avoid the buckets. All you need is a place to put the hose end down lower than the tank.

·
Registered
161 Posts
PfunMo said:
funnyjew2

No drains downstairs? No doors to the outside? Seems there should be some place to put the hose end lower than the tank to avoid the buckets. All you need is a place to put the hose end down lower than the tank.
No..believe me, I looked into getting a utility sink in my basement and I have no drainage and or my water pipes are in the wrong place to have a proper running utility sink. my handyman told me it would cost a fortune to install a drain and add plumbing. Believe me I looked into everything. unfortunately no outside door in my basement. It's a 3 story town home. The python was a gift, so I did'nt pay for it, I'm exchanging it so Fosters is paying for the shipping as well, so If the 50 is only good for filling up, then there is nothing I can do..it is what it is. I'm fine with it. To change 25% in my tank is filling up 4 5 gallon buckets. If I know I just have to empty with cyphon and use python to fill up..it's not to bad.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Won't the submersible pump get clogged up with the waste picked up by the vacuum if you use it for this purpose? :-?

·
Registered
929 Posts
zimmy said:
Won't the submersible pump get clogged up with the waste picked up by the vacuum if you use it for this purpose? :-?
Good point. I wouldn’t be worried about debris in general, but sand or snail shells could definitely be an issue. To cure that, I would go with an external pump and something to pre-filter the gunk before it hits the pump.

KaiserSousay has a nice picture of such an invention in this thread.

·
Registered
161 Posts
In this situation, I'd use a submersible water pump for the vacuuming and draining. The bucket brigade gets old really fast.[/quote]

what is a submersible water pump?? how much money

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
A pre-filter of some sort would solve the stopups. Cut a slit in a sponge and slide it over the end, maybe? Most any little pump for aquarium use is submersible. Means it works under water and can't be run dry like pool pumps for instance. Vary from cheap to very expensive depnding on how big and how quick the water flows. Here is one group:
http://www.petsolutions.com/storefr...cFish-caquarium-cpowerHeadswaterpumps-p1.html

·
Registered
929 Posts
funnyjew2 said:
what is a submersible water pump?? how much money
A submersible pump is a water pump that can be submerged in water. You’ll find 3 types of water pumps: external (can’t be put in the water), internal (has to be in the water to be cooled), and pumps that can be run both in and out of the water. For a pump strong enough to go from the basement to the first floor, with a reasonable flow rate, I’d guess that you would spend around $200 – just a guess though.

Any water pump solution would require some minor plumbing to get working. And, as mentioned, it would benefit from some form of pre-filter to prevent damaging the impeller shaft if you use it to vacuum. But it’s not all that complicated. You just need to come up with the height from the tank to the drain, select an appropriate pump, and then add some simple plumbing fittings to tie it all together.

·
Banned
406 Posts
I used a power head with a hose attached to prime my Eheim 2217. :D

1 - 20 of 28 Posts