Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I upgraded my 29g to a 60g almost two weeks now. Had to build a stand for my 29g before I could put it back in use. Im done and in the morning I plan on setting it back up. The 29g has been sitting in the garage with the sustrate and about an inch of water. My question is would you wash out the gravel or just fill her up, stir her up, and let the filter catch the nasty stuff to start the cycle? Would it work? Its not smelly but its dirty.

Also, im pulling my charcoal out of my HOBs on the 60g, as sugested. Im using a C-360 on the 29g. Should I put the used charcoal in the C-360.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Hmm, yeah I'd probably remove the gravel and soak/rinse in buckets, rinse out the tank, probably scrub with a weak bleach/water mix, rinse and let fully dry or if you can't wait, rinse with a decholrinator.
I'd be worried about mildew/fungus after 2 weeks of sitting.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I tested some of the water in the tank and the ammonia is over 8.0. The tank itself is clean as new. But your probably right, who knows whats in that 3"s of gravel. Just thought I could jump start the bio with the ammonia that is there. Im not in any hurry. Thanks guys!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts