Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took a little time and did some research for the fish I wanted to put in my 20 long, and who would eat my con fry as feeders. I was looking for a fish that would reach about the size of a con, more or less. I narrowed it down to a Jewel or a firemouth. I went to the LFS today and bought a gravel vacuum and a firemouth. He's not small, probably medium. I would get a picture, but since I placed him in the aquarium, he's basically been hiding and remaining on the bottom.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea I know, I have them in different tanks. My firemouth seems to only come out of hiding when the lights are off, I was thinking about getting some dithers to bring him out.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I would give it time. It took about 1 week for my FM's to come out from hiding, and another week for them to not be so skittish of me. Now they all come to the front when I walk up! Enjoy, they are gorgeous fish!

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I borrowed my LED lights from my regular 20 gal, so I only turn on the blue LEDs so it's less light for the little guy. I haven't seen him in a day or so. I have a cichlid stone in there and he's always in it. So today I put my hand in the tank and held a cichlid stick right in the entrance, then I threw it in. Everyday I plan on doing this, so hopefully over time, he will get used to me feeding him and eventually be a wet pet.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thepauly said:
I would give it time. It took about 1 week for my FM's to come out from hiding, and another week for them to not be so skittish of me. Now they all come to the front when I walk up! Enjoy, they are gorgeous fish!
Thank you!

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My firemouth has not been nearly as shy. He still hides if I make sudden movements, but otherwise he just parks himself in the background and likes to watch the tiger barbs. He’s coloring up beautifully, If I may say so, so I decided to snap a pic of him:

He had 17 2 week old convict fry 2 days ago, and afterwards he really colored up, and was still hungry! He is probably the biggest cichlid I have ever owned, and his appetite is outstanding!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts