Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone had experience with these guys? i just ordered 10 of them... was hoping to keep them with a mbuna species. thinking metriaclima kingsizei 'lupingu' (the yellow form). they are supposedly a smaller and milder species of mbuna.... the other options could be cynotilapia sp. 'hara'. but im not sure what the victorians temperament will be, i only know they grow to about 4"??

in australia there is hardly any victorians around, and the ones that have been here a while are usually plagued with hybridisation and even wierd speciation(!!!) so im pretty excited to get these, i hope they are true to form.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i have my doubts that these fish are the real deal, i guess i will have to buy them and then post up pics. im expecting them to be some kind of hybrid TBH :( but you never never know if u never never go lol

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
any tips on husbandry? im going to basically treat them like a mbuna?? 2 or 3 males and about 6-8 females? feed new life spectrum and algae based foods... lots of rocks... anything else?

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
how agressive are these guys? could they live with highly agressive mbuna? what about mid level ones? or should i try and keep them with milder species? thanks :)

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
going to try them with the kingsizei 'lupingu' and cyno sp. 'hara'. if they look stressed will remove the hara! later will put them in a species only breeding tank if they are the good thing, if they are just another hybrid i will sell them clearly labeled as such !!! less than a week till i have them, cant wait :D

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well they fish came in, but there was only 4 instead of 10 :(

i had to drive around and luckily i found another store that had ordered some a few weeks earlier. the good thing was, i then got to pick out all the females :) so i have 2 males, 5 females and 2 very small ones that im not sure of sex yet.

the good news is, that all the colours seem to coming up in the right places, the shape of the head and lips looks right as well. i will get some pics up of them soon, they dont have heaps of colour yet but comparing it to pics on google its looking quite good at this stage :thumb:

one thing i noticed is that the females are very aggressive with each other!

will keep you posted, thanks for the help so far :)

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
still young fish (3-4cm) but showing some traces of their colour... what do you think so far, or is it too early to say?

·
Registered
677 Posts
WoW...

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
been a while now, the fish have alot more colouration. the dominant males tend to get a dark spotted pattern on them.

also, one of the females is covered in black marks??? nerve damage??

do these still seem like they may be the real thing to the experts out there?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts