Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently purchased a 56 gallon tank (30x18x25) and I plan on installing some under gravel jets (3 or 4). My question is what would be a good pump and filtration setup to use in this tank? I was by my local aquarium store and they didn't seem to be much help when I mentioned the type of setup.
Cheers.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I have never used an under gravel jets before. However if the tank isn't drilled I would go with a canister filter and an HOB filter which do pretty good disrupting the surface water ensuring oxygenation. In my 55g I have a Fluval 305 and an Emperor 400 HOB.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Undergravel jets are super nice for keeping detritus suspended in the water column and eliminating dead spots. I think Goofboy has a very nice how-to on UGJ system using a powerhead (http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=208104&highlight=). Now there are some who will use the output from a canister filter to power their UGJ but if you're going to try the Goofboy method (or a version thereof) you're still going to want to have a HOB or canister filter there to filter the suspended detritus from your water column.

As an aside, if you're powering those UGJs with a powerhead, you'll want to make sure it has a reverse flow function, and that it has no problem operating 25" below the waterline.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
702Cichlid said:
Undergravel jets are super nice for keeping detritus suspended in the water column and eliminating dead spots. I think Goofboy has a very nice how-to on UGJ system using a powerhead (http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=208104&highlight=). Now there are some who will use the output from a canister filter to power their UGJ but if you're going to try the Goofboy method (or a version thereof) you're still going to want to have a HOB or canister filter there to filter the suspended detritus from your water column.

As an aside, if you're powering those UGJs with a powerhead, you'll want to make sure it has a reverse flow function, and that it has no problem operating 25" below the waterline.

Good Luck!
Why would you need to have the reverse flow option for a UGJ?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts