Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this considered to be a rare fish the guy a t my lfs said it was a rare fish

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok does anyone know if this is true the guy said that it was only discovered like 5 years ago and does any one own one of these beasts

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
Squege56 said:
ok does anyone know if this is true the guy said that it was only discovered like 5 years ago and does any one own one of these beasts
It isn't too far from the truth... I can't recall exactly when they were first imported, but it hasn't been too long... five, six... somewhere in there. I've had them, found them to be one of the more disappointing fish I`ve kept, and moved them on.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Can't vouch for how long ago it was, but I know it wasn't terrible long ago.

I have 6 of them in a tank right now. 1 that is 3 or 4 years old and 5 that are about 2" long.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
they have one at my local fish store and it is 8 inches long and a real cool blue and black

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have 8 of them in a mixed mbuna community. They are one of my favorite species. They are extremely mild-mannered for a blue black-barred mbuna. I've even kept them in a male hap tank in the past.

Yes, they are very hard to find. The only time I've ever seen them in a retail pet shop was in the Chicago area a few years ago. I bought mine from a breeder via Aquabid.

·
Registered
485 Posts
BoilerFan, what size is the 1 you have that is 3 -4 years old?

Squege56 said:
they have one at my local fish store and it is 8 inches long and a real cool blue and black
you are now obligated to post pics of the one at your LFS :D :popcorn:
One of my faves - I had some, but didn't keep them because my tank is a 55g.

·
Registered
291 Posts
The older one is about 4+" right now. He's apparently not getting any bigger. I expect them all to get 6" or more based on what I read, but I don't see him hitting a growth spurt at this point. HHe (she?) is happy and healthy by all accounts, but below average length.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have a 4" blue dolphin in my tank, he/she is one of my favourite fish i like how it is slightly different in shape to my other mbunas, its also realy calm and spends much time swimming accross the front of my tank almost like putting on a show :wink: didnt realise they was hard to find but now i think about it i havent seen any in my LFS whilst *** been checking out what they have got, sure you would find them easy enough online as im learning this is the future, good luck :thumb:

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
xsarahx said:
I have a 4" blue dolphin in my tank, he/she is one of my favourite fish i like how it is slightly different in shape to my other mbunas, its also realy calm and spends much time swimming accross the front of my tank almost like putting on a show :wink: didnt realise they was hard to find but now i think about it i havent seen any in my LFS whilst I've been checking out what they have got, sure you would find them easy enough online as im learning this is the future, good luck :thumb:
The Blue Dolphin you have is a Cyrtocara moori.

The Blue Dolphin discussed in this thread is a Metriaclima zebra complex fish.

The Cyrtocara moori is not rare at all.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
I was at an LFS on Friday, looked like they had a few in one of their bigger displays. Not entirely positive it was one, but the kid pointed them out thinking it was big demonsani, I looked over to see what he was talking about and told him it was too big to be a dem, that it was probably a blue dolphin. I'm fairly new to all this, but I had thought about stocking my tank with a few and then decided to go with the demonsani, so I could be wrong.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Fogelhund said:
The Blue Dolphin you have is a Cyrtocara moori.

The Blue Dolphin discussed in this thread is a Metriaclima zebra complex fish.

The Cyrtocara moori is not rare at all.
Ok, i cant delete it now, I havent kept them long enough to know there is 2 different Blue Dolphins :?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i know the one at my lfs is only 3 years old and is 8" and mine right now is two inches also what do you feed yours mine hides when i put food in the tank and he willl only eat one pellet and then he also eats the algea waffers i feed them so he is pretty picky on food.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
today my blue dolphin came out and now showing more dominance in the tank and he seems to be pushing his gills out to look bigger :lol: im so proud of him

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
how can i tell the sex of these fish

·
Registered
485 Posts
Venting is the only sure way (if they are big enough), other than that the males are usually larger & have a bit more color.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had one and really enjoyed it. Until I lost it to my filter :( Now I'm having a hard time finding more. I also have the moorii. But it's having problems.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I also have both they are about one and 3/4 of an inch so hope to watch them grow

1 - 20 of 25 Posts