Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I noticed some strange holding behavior (at least to me) with one of my 2 female Saulosi. I was curious if anyone else has seen something similar.

Both females are approximately 2.5 â€" 3 inches and this is the first hold for both of them

The first female spat her eggs after 5 days and gave in for food. I’ve read before that this sometimes occurs with young females and they will eventually get it right after a few times.

The other female did something totally different, which I haven’t seen mentioned on the forum before (I may have missed it though). She held for 8 days and I’m pretty sure it was an actual hold because she ‘yawned’ right in front of the tank and her mouth appeared to be full of eggs. At feeding time, she would rush towards the food but wouldn’t eat or open her mouth for the first 6 days. On the 7th day she did something I’ve never seen before. During feeding time, she appeared to go inside her cave, spit the eggs and rush to eat food. After she ate she rushed back to the cave and scooped up her eggs again? On day 8 she did the same thing, but this time my one of my Synodontis Brichardi cats was already in the cave and appeared to have a nice meal after the spat. Needless to say she is no longer holding. Has anyone seen this scenario before? I imagine this behavior is due to her lack of experience in holding?

Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
It does sound like inexperience to me, or just a bad mother. You'll know after a few spawns which it is, and there really isn't anything you can do to encourage, or discourage that behaviour. Your only option would be to isolate her in a tank of her own, if she continues with the behaviour.

·
Registered
63 Posts
yeah, *** had the same experience as your first female. they get the hang of it, they just need the 'practice'. *** never heard of the second instance though. sounds very interesting! goodluck with it...just be patient, they'll figure it out eventually :thumb:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts