Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this a male Pseudotropheus Saulosi whose color has not came in yet? I bought this fish 2 days ago from my local fish store and it was labeled "Assorted African Cichlid''. The store worker who sold it wasnt sure themselves if it was a male or a Saulosi. Any help would be appreciated :D

Attachments

·
Registered
115 Posts
Black on the fins makes me suspicious. My Saulosi don't have that. The body markings look like male not colored up yet. Doesn't appear to be pure to me.

·
Super Moderator
40,523 Posts
If the vendor could not tell you, even more of a reason to assume the fish is a hybrid. If you are trying to get a pure fish it is safer not to buy from an assorted tank.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i got the fish from Pet supermarket and the vendor really didnt know much about Cichlids at all. in fact the only fish she really knew about were the gold fish. I was thinking maybe it was male whose color hasnt came in yet cause i can see a little blue tint around the jaw and on the bottom fin plus he had the black bar markings on his side but im wasnt 100% sure. it would make sense that it may be an hybrid though. Thanks for the help though and for letting me know what you guys think.

·
Super Moderator
40,523 Posts
You are better avoiding the chain pet stores and purchasing from a knowledgeable local fish store or online vendor.

·
Registered
505 Posts
DJRansome said:
If the vendor could not tell you, even more of a reason to assume the fish is a hybrid. If you are trying to get a pure fish it is safer not to buy from an assorted tank.
Or from someone who has no clue what the fish actually is. These kinds of washed-out fishes are what you generally get with hybrids.

·
Registered
170 Posts
That is not a saulosi. Probably an electric yellow mixed with something.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.