Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, first post here and new to the world of African Cichlids. I've kept community type fish for about 15 years and have a SA/CA cichlid community, but no experience with African's. I am interested in African cichlids because of the challenge of something new and how interesting and personable they are. I'm not exactly sure if the tank I have would work for any species of African, but I figured I'd ask.

Have an empty 36 gallon bowfront, dimensions approximately 30''x15''x'21''. Running a Fluval 306 canister and Aquaclear 50 filter. I know that length is generally more important for Africans so I'm not positive that this tank will be suitable. I went to my local fish store this morning and discuss this with them and they recommended Pseudotropheus saulosi. She recommended getting six to eight for the tank. I'm reading mixed reactions to this online. Some posts and articles are saying that even as a dwarf Mbuna, they should be kept in nothing smaller than a 55g. Other posts say a 36g should work.

So, what are your thoughts? Looking forward to hearing feedback and possibly others experiences and suggestions of alternative (if possible), stocking for this size tank.

·
Registered
767 Posts
HistPhil13 said:
BlueSunshine said:
If you want to keep africans, saulosi would be a good choice for a tank of that size.
How about numbers, six to eight okay for a 36?
Six to eight adults is what I would go for. One possibly two males and the rest females.
If you buy young juvi's , I would probably start with about twelve to fourteen.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts