Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
I have one in my all male tank. Right now, my favorite fish hands down. I love the color that he changes in a split second. Great fish, very compatable with my mix of mbuna (he's not a whimp and not a bully at the same time)I like them. Once a get a bigger tank the polit will mos'def be one of the species I keep. Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
485 Posts
I have a 3.75" male & IME as well, they can hold their own with multiple males. I decided against keeping a group of them because of the drab females; but the males are impressive. I have to agree with esparzar1.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I have some juvies. Looking forward to seeing them grow.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I have a small group of 5 in my cummunity tank. They are my favorite, with the best personality.
They are brave to larger fish and not a bully to smaller tank mates. They are highly agressive to other Polit males though. They breed often, regardless of tank mates and no other species cares to breed with the polit females, so it works out.
I do for see a Problem with the White top Hara's I have, the male's are somewhat the same color and they dont care for each other either.

·
Registered
485 Posts
loffy74 said:
I do for see a Problem with the White top Hara's I have, the male's are somewhat the same color and they dont care for each other either.
You probably will, my dom. male Cyno. Hara really didn't care for my male Met. Membe Deep & kept him from coloring up - too similar in color.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
My Polit and Hara's don't bother each other. I mean, my dom male Hara is the king of the tank so he chases everyone, but I have not seem him pay special attention to the Polit. I do have 2 other males and 1 female Hara in that tank though. I had another male Hara in there too, but I had to remove him due to aggression, the other two males are next.

Here is my Polit. That is my female Hara next to him.

·
Registered
175 Posts
mine arent that bad either, but occasionally the flash there pretty white blue's at each other. he pics out the polit mainly, so now my polit doesnt color up as much. thats all.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow! thanks for the replies and pics! I would love to get my hands on a group... What would be a good ratio to house in a species only 55 gallon hex? Or would the footprint be too small in a hex?

·
Super Moderator
40,480 Posts
What is the longest dimension of the hex? Do not include any corners less than 90 degrees.

·
Super Moderator
40,480 Posts
I'd use the hex for another species and skip the Malawi for that tank. These guys would be better for a 36" or 48" long tank.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts