Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just did a headcount of all 27 mbuna cichlids and everyone except my favorite male polit cichlid was fine. It was not hard to notice him sitting at the bottom of the tank with two lateral brown scrapes running along his dorsal fin.

He is in a 55 gallon which has been fully cycled and running for a year. I have had him for a year...

the parameters are as follows: Nitrate: 5ppm, Nitrite: 0ppm, and Ammonia: 0.

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So he's fully recovered swimming around and eating. He's also back to chasing the females, but if anyone has seen something like this please let me know. I feel like a rock ornament fell on him and he barely wiggled out while scraping himself up trying to escape.

·
Super Moderator
1,856 Posts
Sorry you didn't get any responses but I am glad the fish has recovered. Maybe he did get stuck between some decor or dashed through some when swimming too fast. I had magnified your pics but the marks on either side of his dorsal looked too uniform to me and I couldn't see an actual scrape.

·
Super Moderator
40,516 Posts
Never saw anything like that...scrapes are usually white.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah the rocks have brown algae on them so I figure he quickly darted through rocks that were side by side and got a grass stain effect. As to why he was sitting at the bottom then but is now back to his usual digging and chasing is a mystery to me. I looked up common diseases and couldn't match any to his symptoms.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts