Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to figure out how to stock my new 60 gallon tank and I've been looking through the cookie cutter setups for inspiration.

My understanding was that if you have two fish from the same species in the tank, you may end up with hybrids. I'm not looking to breed fish, but I would still like to avoid hybrids in my tank, for the uncertainty surrounding them.

A few of the setups mention Pseudotropheus, in many different forms, such as mixing Pseudotropheus sp. "Acei" and Pseudotropheus socolofi. Will these fish not interbreed? Or is it not something to be concerned about...?

Also, would it be considered bad form to allow for survival of the fittest when it comes to fry? Will the larger fish eat them? I'm just not sure I have much in the way of an outlet for getting rid of fish if my tank gets crowded, nor do I have the time, space, or desire to set up an additional tank to raise them properly--especially not the already very popular species such as yellow labs, acei, rustys and socolofi that I'm considering.

Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
554 Posts
I'm going out on a limb here a little bit but, as far as I know, pseudotropheus is a 'holding' name for cichlids which they aren't sure of yet. In that regard, it might not be a problem, or it might, because we just don't really know. I think the reccomendations given here are mostly based on experience. Any mouthbrooders can interbreed, pretty much.

It's not bad form to let your fry be eaten, many people keep catfish for just that purpose.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts