Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone have experience with Pseudotropheus flavus?

i currently have several yellow lab mutts (i think crossed with red zebra), 1 yellow lab (not a mutt) and 1 demasoni in my tank. i was going to add 1 male and 2 female Pseudotropheus flavus to my 50 gallon tank once set up.
is this a bad idea or will it work?

·
Registered
42 Posts
it depends man mutts as you call them aka. (hybreds) are nasty little feckers ruining the cichlid trade i think we all as responsable fish keepers should not condone keeping or sekking these fish but hey thats just my opinion :thumb: id try and get rid of your hybreds and would not add flavus if you do you will notice your lovely yellow lab(pure breed) get a nasty black dirty look to his face ,, flavus can be quite aggressive at times and yellow labs are little pets wont hurt a thing and in the wild ther equite a bit away from most aggressive species as they live quite deep about 60 meters or so :wink:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The hybrids were just given to me. I thought I was getting 3-4 babies and ended up with a bunch of bags full. LoL. I am keeping them because I don't want other ppl breeding and trying to sell them. They all seem to ge along even with the demasoni who was mean to everyone until I removed all but the demasoni and added the hybrids and the pure lab I got on trade.
I wasn't sure if the flavus were super aggressive or semi because when looking up on google I find mixed answers. They usually as aggressive as demasonis or more?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
36x19x19

May be getting a 48" long tank if needed. Which I know would be better. Was offered breeding trio of pseudo. Flavus which is why I'm asking. Might be too much yellow for my tank and just stick with more demasonis unless some one else has another suggestion to go with the hybrids?

·
Registered
42 Posts
in my experience flavus can be semi aggressive worth the risk :thumb: :lol: but demosoni on the other hand :lol: prob the most aggressive malawi any1 could put in there tank bad move unless its a all demosoni tank with a ratio of 1 male to 7 or more females and even still prob still gonna have bid problems this is my opinion but you will find that most experienced demosoni keepers will give you a much similar opinion :wink:

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
drksthr said:
i currently have several yellow lab mutts (i think crossed with red zebra), 1 yellow lab (not a mutt) and 1 demasoni in my tank. i was going to add 1 male and 2 female Pseudotropheus flavus to my 50 gallon tank once set up.
is this a bad idea or will it work?
How many mutts in addition to what you've listed? The problem with adding more fish is the 3 foot length.

·
Registered
485 Posts
A 48" tank would be better. IME flavus are pretty aggressive(conspecific & toward others) & it would also be better to have more than 2 female flavus if you go that route. The male flavus will be the only one with yellow/black, the females don't color up like males FWIW. If using the 36" tank, I wouldn't add any more.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the replies everyone!

I am concerned about the length as well which is why I will be picking up a longer tank in the next couple days. I have 8 hybrids in the tank, 1 yellow lab, 1 demasoni and 3 bristlenose plecos. So far all have been living in peace in the tank.

The flavus are being given to me, no big deal if I can't take them. I would like what's best for the fish and not me. Plus I haven't seen them in stores out here to get more if needed.

·
Registered
42 Posts
if your getting a bigger tank than i would go for it man it should be fine if not you can put them in your spare :wink: but i would advive not getting more demosoni that will make things unpeacefull before you know it :wink:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If I take the trio of flavus then I will hold off on the demasoni. Just not sure about all the yellow though, lol. I can always give my buddy some of the hybrids if he promises not to sell them.

·
Registered
42 Posts
drksthr said:
If I take the trio of flavus then I will hold off on the demasoni. Just not sure about all the yellow though, lol. I can always give my buddy some of the hybrids if he promises not to sell them.
in the end the choice is ultimately yours as i said if your getting a bigger tank things would be fine with the flavus as for the hybreds its a shame they ever got to you they should of bin culled when spat/stript the choice is yours but you run high risk of male flavus producing more hybreds with your original hybreds :roll: because of the similar female colors i would try my hardest to get rid of all hybreds thers tons of them in the shops these days so dont feel any guilt you didnt breed them so why should you suffer :thumb: get yourself some nice pure breed fish for yourself :wink:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I ended up getting the 3 pseudotropheus flavus and they were supposed to be 1.2 but it appears they are all males. When I got them 1 looked like a male and the other 2 looked brown. When checking up on them, I noticed all 3 look brown or flare up and look black and yellow like a male. They were all getting bullied by the yellow lab and not the hybrids. Seems to be not so bad the past couple days. Could it be just because they are new to the tank?

·
Super Moderator
40,531 Posts
It could be a variety of reasons.
Because they are new
Because there are only three (existing fish often pick on new fish, adding a bunch helps)
Because of tank size, did you get the bigger tank?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.