Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got what was supposed to be a breeding trio of pseudotropheus flavus awhile ago. They are all yellowish brown in colour so I assume they are females. Once in awhile they'll get black striping but only when chasing eachother but then it goes back to yellowish brown. So my question is, should the males hold their pattern all the time or does it come and go? The 3 I have are 3-4" in size and I would assume by that size they should show their colour by now.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's just the trio alone in a 55g right now. Aside from a bristlenose pleco.
Do the females sometimes take on male colours as a sign of dominance?

·
Registered
485 Posts
Males can be moody with their coloration. Did you recently get them? If so, they'll settle in & the male will color up. Here's mine

Your 55 is under populated, which isn't good for the other 2 flavus; You'll need more than 2 females even if you have only 1 male (they are aggressive). Are you going to stock any other fish?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mine are nowhere close to looking like yours in the pic. Even when they darken up it's still more brownish yellow with the black striping. Going to add more fish just not sure which to add at the moment. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
485 Posts
I thought that maybe you just got them now - after a month a male should should been colored up. What are your water params?
If you plan on trying to get more females & keeping the flavus, I'd avoid any similar pattern (barred) species even if colors are different.
In a 55 you could do a single species tank or up to 3 species(that do not look similar) 1m/4f usually - depending on species.

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
drksthr said:
Mine are nowhere close to looking like yours in the pic. Even when they darken up it's still more brownish yellow with the black striping. Going to add more fish just not sure which to add at the moment. Any suggestions?
If you're pretty sure that it's a trio of 1m 2f, then for starters you can add 2-3 more females. If you think you could have 3 females, then add a male and 2 females. As another species I'd probably pick something blue. Cyno sp. Hara, Ps. Socolofi, or Met. Caillanos (cobalt blue zebra) would be some decent ideas, and I think all of those would not be too intimidated by the aggressive flavus.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I'd say Met. Caillanos (cobalt blue zebra) also.
Usually, only the dom. male flavus will be brightly colored yellow/black - the females & or sub doms will not.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.