Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello friends,

I've been interested in Pseudotropheus flavus ever since I first saw pics of them in some other posts.
My local lfs just got some juvies in and I was asking one of the employees about them and he said they were really nasty and would make a project out of killing my other fish off. I already have red zebras, elongatus', afras in my 125g. Compared to these guys are they really as nasty as I've been told?
Just curious of others experiences with Pseudotropheus flavus... They are sooooo nice looking!!

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
I had one in an all male tank and he was the most aggressive out of 12 fish i had. He also looked the best when he was really mad and terrorizing other fish.

I have no experience with them in a harem set-up.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I don't have personal experience but I've heard they can be pretty nasty. I would worry about them in your tank due to the Cyno Afras and also the elongatus wouldn't work with them due to both species having vertical bars (flavus/elongatus).

The RZ's would be fine though. I think if you (just throwing this out there) are really interested in getting the Flavus I'd get rid of the Afra/elongatus and look at maybe some more aggressive mbuna like Socolofi, Labeotropheus trewavasae or Labeotropeus fuelleborni, most of your Metriaclima (that don't have vertical stripes) should be okay and probably even most of the Tropheops would be okay.

You could do a lot of combos in a 125 with Flavus and have a nice looking tank, you just gotta make sure you put the right combination with them.

·
Registered
485 Posts
IME Flavus are pretty aggressive & with your afra/elongatus it would probably be an issue.
Usually only the dom. male will have the bright yellow/black color, females/sub-doms do not.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have flavus with afras (jalo reef) and msobos. Yes they are aggressive but so are my afras and msobos. I bought them orignally as juvies (8 of each) in a 55g I have now upgraded to a 120g. Afras and flavus do both have vertical bars but they have different body shapes and coloring. The only bad aggression i have had was when the flavus was maturing. Out of the 8, 3 ended up being male which was a problem. I now have my 1 dom male (about 3 inches) and 5 females. He does have one cave that is his and will chase others away (msobo, afras). But they coexist. There is some chasing but nothing serious for mbunas. The 120g i got has been up and running for about 4 months. I had them in my 55g for over a year. Of the three types I have, My male msobo is the top dog in my tank. I guess in the end its all bout male female ratio and tankmates. If you want to add him to your tank, the others shouldn't be passive types. Maybe I got lucky :D but I am a fan of this fish :thumb: My 2 cents

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have been keeping flavus for over 12 months now and in my experience they are fairly aggressive my male wiped out at least 4-5 bristlenose cats on me before I gave up on having algae eaters, I built my whole 90 gallon community tank around this species so he is the boss of the tank which works great cause they generally only show off their amazing color when they are the dominant male of the tank, my advice is if you really want to keep flavus over your elongatus and afras get some juveniles from your lfs and grow them up if aggression problems arise once they grow to maturity trade in the elongatus and afras but your red Zeb's will handle their own hope this was helpful to you good luck.

·
Super Moderator
40,502 Posts
I would not hold the bristlenose against him cause all the mbuna will be curious about the eyes and nip a little more than they should, oops. :oops: I've had BN killed by lab fry.

The elongatus are aggressive too, but some have reported better results if you avoid mixing barred fish of any kind...not just blue-barred. I have no experience with that.

Depending on the afra, like if it was cobue I might avoid the flavus. But if the afra is doing OK with the elongatus...might work.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I heard that they are super aggressive but I haven't seen it. I have 2 adults and a juvie in my demasoni and yellow lab tank. The big yellow lab just bosses them around. LoL
However I am selling my trio though (just want to cut back on stock plus my demasonis are spawning now). They are nothing what I read, but that's my experience.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts