Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If anyone can help me out with this, I would greatly appreciate it. I can't find the answer on Google anywhere.

I recently bought three pseudocrenilabrus philanders. (two females, one male). I've heard them called Egyptian or Copper mouthbrooders. The male is absolutely beautiful, and within two months they started breeding like crazy. I'm a huge fan of the fish. I've read online that the philander species can get up to 5in, but mine are barely an inch and a half right now. This leads me to believe either the max size is WAY off or these fish have a really long lifespan.

Does anyone know how long these fish live, and how big they typically get in an aquarium setting?

Pseudocrenilabrus Philander / Nicholsi / etc?

PS - If anyone is interested in babies, I have a female that is holding at the moment. This is the third time since I got them three or four months ago.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So is 5-6 years a normal lifespan for all variants of pseudocrenilabrus? If so, then mine are still really young and should have time to grow.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I think Pseudocrenilabrinae lifespan depends very much to the temperature.
increase temperature and you will increase their metabolism.
the higher the temperature,the shortest the lifespan.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Interesting thoughts on the temperature effects on the lifespan sicetnon. Do you know what the recommended temperature range is for Pseudocrenilabrae?

I'm guessing that lower temperatures also lead to a less active tank as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts