Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I saw a post on another forum regarding the Betta Buddy Marimo Ball which is often called a moss ball and is used as a plant decoration in aquariums. The product was found to contain invasive zebra mussels by an alert Seattle Petco employee and the full article from Oregon Dept. of Fish and Wildlife can be found HERE

Please share this news release with your fishy friends and local aquarium society members and if you shop locally, let the store manager know if they haven't already been contacted. I would also assume that any tank this product was in may also have been contaminated.

·
Super Moderator
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Another article linked Here said the 1st report came in Feb.9, 2021 but was limited to the Betta Buddy brand. Further down the article in the What to Do section recommends checking any Marimo Balls purchased in the last few months for zebra mussels.

And
Wyoming Fish and Game put out a news alert Here. I'm sure other states will start adding alerts as the news spreads.

·
Super Moderator
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Additional states added to the list, see the following article for updates Zebra mussel update. A link is included in the article on how to clean an aquarium that has/had zebra mussels in it.

It appears a California distributor had shipped zebra mussel contaminated moss balls of varying brands throughout the U.S. to pet stores. It's also possible that other vendors not affiliated with pet stores may also have received the same product so please be aware.

Dee

1 - 4 of 4 Posts