Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about turning my 20g long tank into a single species tank with Ps. Saulosi. I know they usually don't get more then 3 inch. My first question, is a 20g long big enough for about 7-8 fish (2m, 2 or 3f for each male)? And the second question, would both males color up or would I have one dominant and one subdominant?

Thank You

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, Well it would not be hard for me to geg a bigger tank. What about my second question. Will more then one male color up at the same time?

·
Registered
6,001 Posts
It depends on your specific males, the amount of females per male, the way the tank is set up, etc. It might be possible, or it might not happen. You'd basically just have to try it out and see. Personally, I have a group of 12 saulosi in a 46gal tank - which has the same footprint as a 55gal - and only the dominant male is coloured.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SinisterKisses

Thanks for your input. ruffly How big are you adults?

·
Registered
6,001 Posts
Hmm biggest are about 4". For saulosi, IME, 4-4.5" is average size, which is a lot larger than 3". A 3" saulosi is not full grown. And of course, that makes a huge difference as to what size of a tank they would need.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Again thanks for your help. I think I'm going to hold off till I get more room for a 55g.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Thats were they always differ from tank to tank.
In my 40g i have 3 males colored out of a total of 15 fish. Obviously 1 is better coloured then the other 2 but hey still look good. I bought mine as juvies which may help

·
Registered
6,001 Posts
I bought all mine as juvies too, at about 1.5" in size. Perfect example of what I was saying before, it really depends on the individual fish, setup, etc.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
You could probably do those shellies or N. brichardi in a 20g. long tank.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think I'm going to upgrade to a 35g. I like the color the Ps. Saulosi gives off. I just hope I can get more than one male to color up. I'll try it and let everyone know.

·
Registered
563 Posts
nicksdsm said:
I think I'm going to upgrade to a 35g. I like the color the Ps. Saulosi gives off. I just hope I can get more than one male to color up. I'll try it and let everyone know.
sure you can..my main tank has about 4-5 of them color up

·
Registered
5,035 Posts
I had a 55g hex (33" diameter) and I had 3 fully colored males and a partially colored juvie male. Of course there are between 9-12 females in the tank also.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts