Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchase a proven pair of angels for my 37 gal. planted column tank. Any specific things that I need to do ensure the fish continue to breed once they move to my tank? What do I need to do ensure fry survival? Can any other fish remain in the tank?

·
Banned
1,079 Posts
No other fish in that tank.

Keep the temperatures at around 84 degree's for them.

Give them a month or so before you start trying to enduce spawning, let them get used to their surroundings.

Fry survival should be easy if you keep a clean tank - to get the angels to spawn do large water changes (70%) with water 4-6 degrees (F) cooler then what's in the tank.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
When a pair is in prime spawning condition, they will spawn at a variety of temps, and as often as 6 days apart, (if you are removing the eggs), although on average every 9 to 14 days.

·
Registered
32 Posts
If they're a proven pair they'll be at it in no time. Sure, they need a little time to adjust to the tank but it won't slow them down much. Once they start they probably won't stop. If they lose their eggs or you remove them you can expect them to spawn again in a week or so.

The advice already given will definitely help but really you shouldn't need to go to that much trouble. One other trick you might try (though again this isn't necessary) is softening the water a little if it's hard where you live. Of course angels don't need this but in my experience it does help.

The most important thing to ensure fry survival is to feed them newly hatched baby brine shrimp regularly.

And from past bad experience... if they do stop spawning it's best to treat it as a sign that something is wrong in your tank. I ignored that to my detriment in the past and lost a breeding pair. If they're a young couple and they lose interest then something may well be wrong.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Did you remove the other koi angel and dithers you have in the tank, yodahorn?

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The fish I have in the tank currently will be moving to a friends tank before the fish come in. The pair won't arrive until Tuesday. Do I need to get rid of the algae eaters (otos) and cory cats also?

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I've had cories swarm and eat my wigglers with my Bolivian rams, but I've never bred angels with cories in the tank, so I'm not sure.

It's been 30 years since I bred angelfish, but when I did, I had only the pair in a tank.

It seems like I've read that otos are okay, though, but hopefully someone will chime in with more info. :thumb:

You'll have to post pics when they get settled in!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts