Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The yellow pots didnt turn out so hot after all that algae got ahold of them. but plecos might have eaten the eggs so I didnt house em. Oh well its my breeding tank not show tank anyway. Well hope yall enjoy. Lemmie know what ya think!

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Wow that's awesome. Look at the difference in color of the parents. They were colored so different before. Congrats! I wish I had a Texas. They are so beautiful.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Awesome video!! :thumb:

Wish my male texas would take his job seriously or grow up or something......

·
Registered
721 Posts
That was an interesting video. 8) They sure had their"defensive-colors" and actions going. Willing to defend/fight any intruders--even your fingers.. :lol: ..plenty of fry. Congrats.!! :)

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Awesome video!
Congrats on the spawn. They look great, and I really like the way you've got the plant coming out of the pot like that. :thumb:

BV

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the praise guys. Their a really nice young pair. My favorite out of all my cichlids. I will definitely keep the pics comming as the little guys get bigger.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
samnewb said:
Makes me want to have texas cichlids even more now, what size tank are they in?
I bred them in a 29g. Since the adults were breeding at 2-3" it was enough room to bred them in there. I am now moving the two adults to my 55gal so they can get a bit bigger before I eventually go 125g. (because as we know the suckers get big) So im going to use my 29 as a grow out for the fry until they get big enough to sell. Hopfully the parents will mate again in the 55 so I can have two batches. Which means more money :)
But I do have one question. How long should I keep the parents with the fry before I seperate them? Or could I do it now? Well thx again guys.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Big Vine said:
Awesome video!
Congrats on the spawn. They look great, and I really like the way you've got the plant coming out of the pot like that. :thumb:

BV
Preciate it BV. You can thank my interior decorating skills for that. LOL

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
One more question I have. Not all these babies are going to live huh? Will I have to do some culling with them?

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
Hopfully the parents will mate again in the 55 so I can have two batches. Which means more money
I have kept a pair of Texas's and they spawned at least twice in one month! They are one of the most prolific spawners out there! In many ways they are just like Convicts! Seriously you won't make a lot of money infact I think you will be wanting to just find homes for them which means you will end up just giving them away! Sure the first time you take in fry you will make a little bit of money maybe around $10-20 (which would have to be a lot of them!) but soon after that they will spawn SO frequently that you will be stuck with them! Just my opinon and experience!

I breed fish not for just money but for enjoyment and it's what I like! I love their personalities, color, their care for the fry, raising the fry, and the excitement when they spawn! It also makes me feel successful and feel that I am at least good at something. As I am not really successful in anything else I try to do!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts