Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
do females get the white blaze on their top fin? i have 2.. i want a male.. i have 1 that i thought was female its about 4inchs and not showing any blue in the face or color in the body but it has a white blaze on the top fine which my friend seems to think means it will be a male... so i bought another one from an online breeder as they can usually sex them..also at what size do males start to color up? if it is a female im suprised its not holding because its in my all male hap, peacock tank... i know fish will hold in there cuz i jus had a spawn of ob peacock fry..

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
So much for an all-male tank eh?

I only have 1 smallish P.Steveni Taiwan Reef, he's about 3" - got really good blue in the face, body changes depending on mood from dark vertical bars to nice pale/even greenish.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lol well i wanted an all male tank.. put some ob peacock juvies in there before i knew much about them... didnt realize theres no way to sex them by color...actually i jus assumed it was male... i dont mind having a few females in there actually maybe it will keep the males fired up... this taiwan reef also has bars that come and go.. but no blue in the face.. it does however have the white blaze on the top fin... does anyone know if females get this white blaze too? i was gonna get rid of this fish but i couldnt even give it away for free so i said **%^ it ill jus keep it... and since it hasnt even thought about spawning im starting to think maybe it is a male... seems bigger than 3 inchs thou and no blue thou... the other one i got that was sold to me as "probably male" since it was still to small to tell for sure... still isnt big enough that ones probly 2.5 inchs...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so the more i look at this fish the more im starting to think its a male.. its 4inchs and showing some blue in the face not like an overwhelming amount.. and the body def turns to a greenish and the bars go away..and the white blaze on its top fin. when can i expect the redish yellow color to come in?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have 3 of these in my tank. I know 1 is male for sure, the other 2 are driving me nuts because I cant tell for sure :)

Does it show any red on the anal fin at all? My male started showing a little blue on the face and then started with the red on the anal fin. His vertical bars started fading when he started to color.
The other 2 the bars are still very dark. They are abouy 2 and a half to 3 inches long now.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yea its got a smidge of rid on the anal fin... and a lil bit of blue on the face... and he looks almost greenish.. but its not really aparent yet... im starting to really think its a male if so ill have an extra one for one of you fellas lol same thing with the red-fin borleyis i bought i gave 1 away and have 3 now hoping one will be a male..

·
Registered
135 Posts
Botht he males and females have the white blaze on their heads and dorsal fin. Both the males and females have the red anal fin, although in males it is much more pronounced. I actually breed Taiwan Reefs, but I bought a set of three (supposed to be 1m 2f) and all three of them have turned out to be male... The last "female" just started coloring up about 2 weeks ago when I sold 2 extra males that were in the tank. He is only about 4 - 5 inches and shows a pretty blue face and a yellowish body, nowhere near as colorful as my dominant Taiwan Reef :p Anyways, the females stay gray with bars, have the white blaze, and a slightly red anal fin. They do get a slight blue tinge on the face as well but thats about it in my experience, hope this helped.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:eek: lol now im even more confused than before.. i guess i have to wait till the fish is a full 5 or so inchs and see if it colors up... cuz right now its jus a slight blue on the face white blaze and slight red on the anal fin.. so i guess it could go either way... its one of the biggest fish in my tank right now.. the only ones that are the same size are a lethrinops intermedius, red-shoulder chileleo (however u spell it) strawberry peacock and ob peacock and electric blue ahli...the rest are all smaller most much smaller... i guess only time will tell... do the females not spawn until full grown? most of my other female fish are already spawning at like 3inchs 3.5 inchs

·
Registered
135 Posts
I do have some females who aren't full grown who are spawning... they are much much smaller than my full grown female, but it keeps the males attention scattered... if you want, tomorrow I can try to post a picture of the small male I have that is starting to color up and of my adult female, and you can compare...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thatd be awesome if you posted them here... in the profiles section they have no pics of females.. and i googled it and found a few pics but the females look much smaller than my fish is so it didnt really help

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well I am in the same boat with you, lol. I have 1 known male and 2 unknowns. One minute I think they are male, then another female. I am also totally confused by these little guys :D

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
amakayov said:
The last "female" just started coloring up about 2 weeks ago when I sold 2 extra males that were in the tank. He is only about 4 - 5 inches and shows a pretty blue face and a yellowish body, nowhere near as colorful as my dominant Taiwan Reef :p Anyways, the females stay gray with bars, have the white blaze, and a slightly red anal fin. They do get a slight blue tinge on the face as well but thats about it in my experience, hope this helped.
:thumb:

m1ke715m, does yours have the barring?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yea but it goes away and the fish has an almost green sheen to it.. not to be confused with a charlie sheen (duh, winning! lol) both male and females as i understand have the barring and then the color jus comes in over top of the barring and the fish turns an almost ahli blue.. i think i also read that protomelas in general are very late bloomers so its def giving me alot of hope that its a male... i also have a super red empress growing out that im almost positive is a male because it got big from a tiny tiny size really quickly... and a tangerine tiger growing out that i bought from an online breeder that couldnt sex it but gave me the biggest in the tank... not sure about that one..

·
Registered
135 Posts
I would say since the blue sheen is coming up over the "shoulder" of the fish that it could very possibly be a male, it is also a bit bigger than that female Deep Water Hap you have there :) I like them :p But it isnt showing much color other than that... Are the dorsal and anal fins rounded or boxed? That could help determine whether it is male or female... its not always completely accurate since the males develop the boxed fins as they color up, but it could help...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
that should be a male deep water hap.. i hope it is... it was pretty small when i got it.. but i always ask for males from the breeders..and im not sure what yoiu mean are the fins round or boxed the anal fin is pointy...i think some of my favorites are that walteri peacock and the aristo yellow blaze lithobate in the second pic ... i gota red blaze one too but its not fully colored up yet the blaze doesnt go down the face and it hasnt turned real blue yet like my yellow one has him you can see in the first pic... alot of the fish i have are either not sexed yet (sent to me as males but unsexable for sure) or jus not colored up yet....

·
Registered
135 Posts
Yea, that's what I meant about the fins being boxed... if the anal and dorsal fins are pointy like that theen it should be male and its just taking its time coloring up. Deep Water Haps do tend to take a little longer to color up so it is most likely a male, harder to ttell from a picture... sorry :/

·
Registered
135 Posts
Now that I have taken a closer look at the Deep Water Hap, it is male, I didnt see the blue sheen when I had mentioned it earlier

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i think its a lil too small hasnt really started to get the sheen yet... charlie sheen is my fav sheen.. but i digress lol

1 - 20 of 22 Posts