Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have four Protomelas Spilonotus "mara Rocks" Cichlids, 4m and 1f. They are all about 3.5 inches and this morning I watched the dominant male doing the mating dance with the female. It looks like the female is holding. My question is, should I separate the female into her own tank, and how long until she spits out the babies? This is my first holding female and hope to successfully raise some fry :)
I am worried since there are other large predatory cichlids in the same tank.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I'd be more worried about the 4m and only 1f. If they're all sexually mature, they will all want to mate with her, all the time. Aside from beating each other up, they'll likely harass her and completely stress her out, since she's already holding. Keep a close eye on them and remove her as soon as necessary. If she holds her own, strip between 14-21 days.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oops, I meant 3m and 1f. But yeah, I know it is an odd ratio, I bought them when they were about an inch and they were all that was left for sale. It seems like the dominant male is keeping the other males in check, and the female doesn't seem bothered by others.
I have a 10 gallon and a 20 gallon plant tank with no fish, I will set it whichever up for the female and future fry asap. Thanks for the advice :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.