Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering if any one could help me identify these two fish? When I purchased them I was told that they where both Protomelas taeniolatus but they do not look like the ones in the profile section. I have looked in the profiles section and found some that are close but not exact. Let me know what you think thay maybe. Thanks

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
One of the challenges in identifying this fish, is they both appear to be a bit picked on, so their full colours aren't being displayed. In the body, what other colours are there, and do they both have the same colour in the same areas?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They do not have the same color in the same areas the first ones barring is smaller and more of them and the anal fin is usually on orange color. The second one is more of a solid blue color with the barring larger and a white strip down his head. They are both about 3-4 inches in length so I am assuming they are not full adults yet. Any one out there ever seen fish like this? I have had both of them for about 8-9 months they do seem like they are doing well. The 2nd one was getting picked on for a little while but I removed the aggressor. I will try and get some better picks posted.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
The fish in the top two pictures is a Protomelas spilonotus.

The fish in the bottom photo is harder to identify. It has characteristics of both Protomelas stevensi and Scianochromis fryeri. It is possible it is a hybrid.

but they are definitely not Protomelas taeniolatus.

Andy

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Narwhal72 said:
The fish in the top two pictures is a Protomelas spilonotus.

The fish in the bottom photo is harder to identify. It has characteristics of both Protomelas stevensi and Scianochromis fryeri. It is possible it is a hybrid.

but they are definitely not Protomelas taeniolatus.

Andy
Good call I think. It is I guess possible that both fish, esp if from the same place, are both hybrids and one just taking on the form closer to one pairent than the other?

Though could the top one be Protomelas sp. "spilonotus tanzania" ?
And the bottom one just Protomelas spilonatus "Mara Rocks - Sulphurhead" ?
Clearly they are not the same.
Just hard figuring out why.
I guess it depends on the quality of the seller which one I would guess. :-?

All the best James

1 - 5 of 5 Posts