Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been moving tanks around at my house. My Protomelas sp. "Steveni Taiwan" (Taiwanee Reef) is fully colored up in another tank and I'm looking at getting him in my living room tank. The problem being that, that tank already has a Protomelas taeniolatus (Red Empress) in it. Has anyone ever had luck with these to together or sense they are both Protomelas do they not get along.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Red Empress would most likely be the bully in my experience as well. I've had great success with Protomelas Spilonotus Tanz assuming the head honcho position. They're less obnoxious than the Red Empress or Taiwan Reef.

Currently, my tank has multiple Protomelas species with zero aggression. We'll see if this lasts as they mature.

7" Protomelas Spilonotus Tanz x 2 males
6" Protomelas Red Empress
4" Protomelas Steveni Taiwan Reef
4" Protomelas Steveni Imperial Gome
4" Protomelas Virgatus Manzizi

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ya I'm going to sell him. He's just to much in my tank. I got some that can be aggressive when their shaking I can understand that. My Red Empress male is just always bullying everything. Nothing else in my tank bothers anything unless their spawning. The Empress will pick a target for the day and than just hunt him down all over the tank. One day its my Blue ahli, next day my Cobue peacock, than my sunshine peacock. Than yesterday I tried getting my Tawian reef into that tank and had to take him out. I think the Tawian Reef looks better and is alot less aggressive so the Red Empress is outta here.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I have a 5" male red empress that's pretty docile. He's in there with about 35 fish in a 220 with some bigger haps. I raised him when he was around 2" and he was never aggressive. I guess I got lucky with him.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have both a male Taiwan Reef and a male Red Empress in my 135. The TR is actually the more aggressive of the two. But skirmishing is minimal - usually during feeding. If anything, the most aggressive fish in the tank is a red peacock that is quite a bit smaller than some of the largest haps.

I had a previous Malawi community that lasted many years. The two biggest fish were a Red Emp and a Moori. They got along well with each other and nobody else challenged their authority.

So I really haven't had the negative experiences with Red Emp aggression that others have had. Guess I'm lucky in this regard.

·
Registered
131 Posts
It seems once the Red Empress hits the 5"-6" range, they mellow out. I have a 4" male closing in on full coloration and he's just an obnoxious little brat. **** teenagers. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts