Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have an opportunity to get my hands on a brand new protein skimmer for next to nothing at all. I was wondering if they are useful in a fresh water aquarium or basically just for marine set ups.
thanks

·
Registered
625 Posts
From my understanding, they simply will not with with fresh water.

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
Boy, but wouldn't it be nice?

·
Registered
220 Posts
I'd get it in case you would ever want to check out the "dark side." I doubt they would work with fresh water, becuase the protein solids sink in that type of tank. In salt, they float. The brown foam that you sometimes see when you go to the beach at the ocean is an example of the protein that these skimmers remove.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I've always heard they won't work in freshwater. I gave mine away. If it's free, why don't you get it, hook it up and see what it does?

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Not needed, and they don't work efficiently. Has to do with the difference in surface tension of salt vs fresh water. They're better suited for salt tanks where water changes aren't done as often. In fresh water tanks, better to just do the water changes.

·
Registered
299 Posts
prov356 said:
Not needed, and they don't work efficiently. Has to do with the difference in surface tension of salt vs fresh water. They're better suited for salt tanks where water changes aren't done as often. In fresh water tanks, better to just do the water changes.
Good, cuz 2 years ago I gave away my several hundred dollar one, was trying to figure out how to ask for it back... :-?

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
thanks for the detailed response. if it wont be effective than I wont use it.
If it is a "good" skimmer, there are tons of reefkeepers that will pay good money to take it off your hands..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts