Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a 60 gallon African Cichlid tank stocked with Mbunas as far as I am aware. Sometime I am not so sure as I rely on my LFS when being led in the right direction. The tanks dimension are 12.75 in L x 48.5 in W x 25 in H and I have two filters running, a Marineland Megniflow 360 canister and a Bio-wheel Penguin 350 Power Filter.

Recently I have been researching how many fish I can really fit in this tank and tend to get many different answers from 10 to 30. Does anyone have insight as to what the proper amount of fish would be for a well stocked tank?

·
Registered
362 Posts
It depends on what cichlids you choose to go with. I would think Mbuna.. or possibly Peacocks with that tank. In my opinion 12-15 total full grown Mbuna is the max that you would want..and for them to be comfortable. Three species with 4 to 5 fish of each. The cookie-cutter section in the Library can give you more info and ideas (look at the 55 gallon info). I haven't kept Peacocks..so others can advise you if you are interested in those.

·
Administrator
41,517 Posts
To give you an idea, I would not go more than 10 for all-male (a challenging tank) and max of 15 for mixed gender mbuna with 3 species and 1m:4f of each.

It does depend to some extent on the species but this will give you a starting place.

You are unlikely to gain consensus among all possible advisors so pick one you trust and go with it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kevin in Ky said:
It depends on what cichlids you choose to go with. I would think Mbuna.. or possibly Peacocks with that tank. In my opinion 12-15 total full grown Mbuna is the max that you would want..and for them to be comfortable. Three species with 4 to 5 fish of each. The cookie-cutter section in the Library can give you more info and ideas (look at the 55 gallon info). I haven't kept Peacocks..so others can advise you if you are interested in those.
Thank you! I will defiantly check that out. Good to know about the adding multiples of one type, as some pet stores have suggested one of each, or none that look similar to eachother.

·
Registered
362 Posts
When I say multiples of each.. I mean 1 male and 4 females of each of the 3 species (which can be challenging getting to that ratio). This is for a "harem-style" Mbuna setup. Your LFS may be advising you for an all-male tank..but I would trust advise you get from the moderators (like DJR or Noki) and experienced keepers here..far more than any LFS.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.