Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the minimum size tank for 1m/4f harem of Maingano? 40br?

I was thinking of putting them in the mbuna tank but afraid they might be a bit too rowdy.(Yellow Lab, Msobo)

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
Many fish keepers have reported difficulty keeping them in a 55G and have better luck with a 75G and a 1m:7f ratio.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What are the odds of them getting along in my 60g with 5 msobo and 5 yellow labs?

The Maingano would be the smallest mature fish in the tank, but also the most aggressive. Was hoping that plenty of rock cover and 15-20 fish in the 48x12 footprint would dramatically curb aggression.

·
Registered
625 Posts
My 75 currently has: 2 maingano (almost mature), 1 yellow lab (mature), 1 weird zebra hyrid thing (mature) and ~20 rusties (1-1.5" fry).

I will be upgrading the maingos to 7 for the proper ratio (more likely 10 because I like round numbers) and I can say the mainganos pay no attention to the lab.

The zebra doesn't like the lab and the lab is semiannoyed with the rusties but the mainganos keep to their territories and only chase a fish when it ventures into a hole they've dug or they see each other.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Right now I have a confirmed female. Thought for sure that it was a male. Very dark coloration and fairly dominant and it deffinately dropped about 8-12 eggs in front of me. I might jsut try putting her in there once the Msobo fry start to mature. Unfortnately right now the Maingano is in a 10 gallon by herself and I'm debating my options.

She has turned into almost a pure maroon color. A very dark purple. If bright lights are on you can see different tones. At first she had textbook markings of Maingano/Johanni but changed after a month or 2.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Check out Melanochromis interruptus. The girlfriend bought a "maingano" and it turned out to be this.

If it's not that peruse all of the melanochromis profiles, so many of them are similar.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Those are Dimorphic so my female would be orange/yellow. The fish was sold as an Electric Blue Johanni w/ scientific name mel. johanni. Was labeled wrong I realized after talking with the pet chain worker after that day. All the fish they have come in are blue as juveniles for this fish. They also got another 6 in today and the markings are identical to Maingano. I think the color change occured due to stress. She I purchased her she was very pale, there was a dark, dominant one in the tank as well. She darkened up pretty quick and her colors have kind of blended together.

·
Registered
9,063 Posts
A lot, a majority, of the fish sold as Electric Blue Johanni are questionable if they are pure or hybrids. Also, when the fish are bred for many generations they may not look the same. If they are sold as Electric Blue Johanni they may not be pure, and the people at the store probably have no idea. There are 3 closely related species which are often sold as Johanni, and many hybrids of these fish.

As far as the original question, I would want them more crowded than 5 fish alone.

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
travisbundo said:
What are the odds of them getting along in my 60g with 5 msobo and 5 yellow labs?

The Maingano would be the smallest mature fish in the tank, but also the most aggressive. Was hoping that plenty of rock cover and 15-20 fish in the 48x12 footprint would dramatically curb aggression.
Judging by my personal experience with M. Cyaneorhabdos (Maingano) and Msobo together, not good. I had a group of 1m + 6f in a 125 gallon (with 1m 5f Msobo). The Mainganos were rowdy enough that they inhibited the Msobo from breeding and from attaining full color, but nobody was ever injured. I have since moved the mainganos out.

That being said, you're experience may be different! Still, I recommend at least a 48" x 18" for it to be worth trying.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts