Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to know what the proper male to female ratio is for demasoni. I started with 25 demasoni and I am now down to 12. I thought that the 75 gal tank with an over load of rock work would be ok. I was wrong it seems like every week I am netting a dead fish. Please can someone help.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Demasoni-holics should chime in here. :thumb:

I got rid of my group of 10 - and didn't have problems with killing - so I'm of no help. :roll:

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Are all the deaths killings? Was the tank properly cycled ?

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Dewdrop is right, there may be other factors involved with your deaths.

Stress can cause illness and losses, but without knowing what led up to the deaths, it's impossible to make a call.

With a group that large, male/female ratios shouldn't have been an issue.

I'd suspect you've got other problems on your hands...

Keep in mind that stress can come from places other than aggression!

·
Registered
162 Posts
yes agree with the above, what are the water parameters?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All the water parameters are great, No ammonia, No nitrate or trite, PH is 8.2. Could it be that their were 4-6 of the original stock that were alot bigger than the rest.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Unless this is a heavily planted tank, zero nitrates aren't possible.

Usually larger demasoni ignore smaller ones.

I think that we need alot more information in order to help. And I would certainly get a second opinion on those water parameters. :wink:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
O.K. so I just tested all that I can with what test kits I have.

Ammonia-0ppm
Nitrate-5.0ppm
Nitrite-0ppm
Phos.-0ppm
PH-8.2

I do regular 50% water changes a week and attempt to clean the sand every other week. I believe that the fish are happy, I have had at least four different female demasoni holding. Only one has carried full term, the others swallowed their eggs. I have one holding right now.

The stock list consists of:
10-13 Demasoni(2 Males for sure, 4 females)
3 Cherry Red Zebras(about 2.5in)
3 Yellow Labs(1-5in & 2-2in)

What could be the problem with all the deaths of my demasoni. I failed to mention that 2 killed them selfs, jump out of the tank. Other than that I just don't understand. Someone please help.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
As many as you have lost, I would suspect some sort of illness.

Watch the tank carefully over the next week...Be on the look out for any unusual behaviour from them...Reclusive behaviour is usually a sign that something is wrong. Also keep your eyes open for any white stringy feces, and make sure all are taking in food at the feedings.

What are you feeding them?

How long have you had them?

How close together are the deaths?

Off topic, but just want to make sure you know not to salvage or distribute any fry from the Yellow labs or red zebras, as they are prone to crossbreed!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm feeding NLS cichlid formula, I have had them for appx. 4 months. The deaths are speratic it is hard to time them.
I know about the yellow and reds, I was planning on getting rid of one of the two species, I just can't decide which one.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Sporatic deaths can still be linked to illness, especially bloat. Some fish take longer to show symptoms, and longer to succumb to the disease. I would watch for the signs and symptoms listed above, especially if you aren't seeing any signs of aggression with the dead fish.

You might also add epsom salt to the tank at 1 cup per 100G...It will "flush" their digestive system and aids as a prevenative for those who aren't already infected when bloat is in the tank. Just dissolve it in some tank water before adding.

·
Registered
162 Posts
cichlidaholic said:
Sporatic deaths can still be linked to illness, especially bloat. Some fish take longer to show symptoms, and longer to succumb to the disease. I would watch for the signs and symptoms listed above, especially if you aren't seeing any signs of aggression with the dead fish.

You might also add epsom salt to the tank at 1 cup per 100G...It will "flush" their digestive system and aids as a prevenative for those who aren't already infected when bloat is in the tank. Just dissolve it in some tank water before adding.
I was thinking of doing this to mine, so far i tink i have had no problems but guessing only shows its ugly head when its to late for some

1 - 13 of 13 Posts