Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I think I know what I'm doing, but in my experience, never hurts to ask for a second opinion. :p

Very soon (maybe this week), I will be ordering a dozen juvie fuelliborni marmalades from an online retailer to replace the albino zebras currently in my 125g tank. I will of course want to quarentine the new arrivals before adding to my display just in case. I have some logistical jumproping to do first though, and I'm trying to figure out the best way to go about it.

The tank that would be my Q tank is currently housing 3 male rusties. I placed an ad in the trading post and have contacted LFS's, but I haven't got anyone to take them off my hands yet. I also need to rehome the albinos, but I suspect they would be fine for a little while longer in the display even after adding juvi fuelliborni's. And, while I'm at it, I have a subquality second male giant dem thats going to cause problems sooner or later, and I want to remove him to let the nicer looking male be dominant.

(well, the nicer looking one is already dominant, but lately the subquality male has been outgrowing the one I like, and "controls" more of the tank, and a couple instances I've come home one day out of the blue to find dead male fish with no previous signs of stress or aggression (at least once it was the fish I thought was dominant), so I want to be proactive and remove the subquality male before I come home and find my nice male dead out of the blue.)

So anyways, options, assuming nobody takes my fish from me before I'm ready to put the new fish in the 125:

1: when the new fish arrive, just throw them in the 125. :p
2: when the new fish arrive, remove the albinos and male giant dem to the tank with the 3 male rusties, and then throw them in the 125. :p:p

3: when the new fish arrive, quarentine them in the tank WITH the rusties.
4: clean up the used 40g breeder thats sitting in my garrage, hope it holds water, find a place out of the way to sit it, borrow one of 2 AC110's that is providing surplus filtration for my 125 anyways, find a heater etc, and Q the new fish there.

AFTER the Q period:

5: just add the new fish to the tank, don't remove the albinos/giant dem until I find someone to take it
6: remove the fish before adding the new ones.

Thoughts:

So, 1) and 2) aren't really options, except the ARE options, maybe just not the best options.

3) my concern is its been a couple months with just the 3 rusties, and I'm concerned about adding the bioload of 12 juvi fish without being able to ammonia-dose the tank beforehand due to the rusties. Will the bioload be too much where I'll have to worry about ammonia/nitrite?

4) -Concerns about the tank (it was someone's "experiment" tank, with lots of drilled holes and old bulkheads and silicone all overthe place, with peeling blue latext paint on 3 sides, and calcium/salt deposits everywhere (it was part of a SW setup in a past life))
-Concerns about removing an AC110 from my 125 - I think by now I've probably established enough bacteria in the rest of my system (second AC110 + 55g sump) that it shouldn't be a problem, right?
-Concerns from my wife - she will not like the idea of setting up another fish tank, no matter how I try to convince her how temporary it will be :roll:

Thoughts? Probably my best option.

5, 6) probably doesn't matter either way. Just wondering what you guys would do. If all goes well, should be able to get someone to take the fish I need to get rid of before this point anyways.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
431 Posts
I would:

1. Clean up the 40g breeder and throw the rustys in there(in case there is a problem with the tank, you don't want to kill the fish you actually WANT), using the filter on the Q tank.

2. Put the juvies in the Q tank, using the AC with the larger bioload from the 125.

3. When the time comes, move the giant Dem and the albinos to the Q tank the same time you move the 12 new juvies to the show tank.

I would have to think your show tank will be fine without one extra filter.

Oh and you are on your own with your wife, that's just what I would do. :p

·
Registered
431 Posts
BTW, excuse me if I missed it, but how big is the Q tank?

If it's big enough, just toss a divider in it and house both the rustys and the new juvies.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the ideas, benny!

First thing, I mentioned to the wife last night about setting up the other tank temporarily, and she didn't flip out, so thats step 1 :lol:

The tank that already has the rusties is a 33XL, so same footprint as a 55g, but shorter. The 40br is a 36x18, I think. If I were going to put the new juvies in with the rusties, I think they'd be fine without a divider, but I'd worry about adding the bioload of 12 juvie fish to the tank because the filters are only cycled to handly the bioload of 3 - 3" mbuna.

I don't think I will be able to put an AC110 on the 33XL. The tank is just too short. The AC70's I have on there now already dig pits in the sand, and I had to modify the inlet tubes to shorten them to limit the amount of sand going into them.

I think what I'll do is, use the 40g with an AC110 from the 125 for the new arrivals, assuming it holds water. For heating, I can use the 100W heater that is currently in my 125, because I've been meaning to up it to a 200W heater anyways. At any point, I can move the 5 albinos and 1 giant dem to the 33XL with the rusties. I'll just monitor the ammonia/nitrite levels, and do extra water changes if necessary. After I add the new juvies to the 125, the 40br can become my new fry tank for 60ish rusty fry and 5 yellow lab fry I'm growing out. Just need to get a second sponge filter, already have a stronger airpump. The mishmash of fish in the 33XL can then stay there until someone takes them off my hands for me, at what point I'll have to figure out what I plan on doing with the 33XL - maybe split all my fry between the 40 and the 33 by then or something else I'll worry about in a month or so when I get that far.

Sound good? Like I said, I think I know what I'm doing. I think I mostly just wanted to talk it out to convince myself I could make it work with my current equipment. :p

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I get what your saying GTZ. I was hoping to get across that I had plenty of tank space to move stock around even with the new arrivals, so there really isn't a rush to rehome anybody first.

P.S. In case anyone is wondering, I did get the marmalades, and they're in the 40br, with a borrowed AC110 from my 125. discussion thread is over here: http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/view ... highlight=

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
I hear ya, been there myself....'well, I could probably squeeze these guys in there for a while until they go, won't be for very long'....lol. I get impatient sometimes and overthink the situation, thought you might need a simple solution as I tend to from time to time ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts