Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after fighting with my substrate for a few months now ( I decided to go with the quikcrete white sand) looks great in the tank and I haven't had many issues with it besides the fact I can't get rid of this surface debris and this film on the top of the water.. I've tried to clean the tank almost 4 times now and this stuff will just not go away. I've NEVER had an issue using Cichlid sand or any sand designed for tanks. So I went ahead and decided to just do it right and dump the money on some black Moon Sand.. I think it's going to look fantastic but is going to be a huge project. Also, the white sand is a PAIN to keep clean, you see everything.. So going black will be nice. :thumb:

Any tips or tricks on how to remove the old sand easily?

here is a pic of the sand and my current tank setup.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
:lol: That new sand is good stuff. I currently have 80 lbs of it in my 125 mixed with blue.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
haha, good call on the dust pan. That is what I ended up using :lol: :thumb: Waiting for my neighbor to get over here so I can lift the thing out of the stand. Weights a ton

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Flippercon said:
:lol: That new sand is good stuff. I currently have 80 lbs of it in my 125 mixed with blue.
Good to know, i just put 50 pounds in two separate containers and cleaned the **** out of it. It's running crystal clear so I don't think i'll have any issues.. :thumb:

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here is how it turned out, I really like it.. Makes it nice and dark and the colors of the fish really pop..

Look at my poor bristlenose how beat up he is.. :( Looks like one of the zebras was nippin at him.. He is on the reddish rock to the right..

Wish i could hide my equipment , any tips or ideas to maybe hide it? I can't come up with anything at all.. Unless I get stuff that goes higher up in the tank or sites in front of it like more drift wood.

·
Registered
155 Posts
use some PVC to hide your filter tube, black... just slice it in half or find a size that fits right on, use a small self tapping screw or a black hair pin to hold the pcv up although u should have problems with it since it floats.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
You can drop the heater behind that piece of driftwood maybe turn it horizontal. Use pvc it does wonders with a black backround. Use krylon fusion paint to match. Best if you let cure for a week, makes it a little bit more chip proof. :thumb:

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Some good ideas thanks

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
I find I need to keep painted items algae free, otherwise the fish graze on it and end up scraping the paint off as well as the algae. Something to keep in mind.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Cromak said:
Wish I could hide my equipment, any tips or ideas to maybe hide it? I can't come up with anything at all. Unless I get stuff that goes higher up in the tank or sites in front of it like more drift wood.[/img]
Hi Cromak,

You tank looks great and it appears you may have deliberately left out plants. But, if you are not opposed to fake plants I have used large leafed silk fake plants from the dollar store to hide equipment. I just wrap the plastic/wire base around the equipment or stick it out of the top of the tank and tape it down. Personally I think it looks great; plus it hides equipment, defuses light, and give somewhere for fish to hide if being chased.

Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I did leave out plants. They were becoming a real pain constantly making my tank dirty and getting caught in my circulation pump.. I have considered getting some of those fake silk plants, they do look real nice but I am kinda of enjoying the look of my tank right now.. I do however need to see how well i can hide everything per all these suggestions in this thread. Then may decide to throw some plants in there.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.