Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a programmable lighting controller for dimmable LED bulbs ... anyone know of such a thing ?

At a reasonable price ?

Backstory: In the process of setting up a fish room in the basement, current lighting consists of a total six recessed can lights in the ceiling on a total of 4 dimmer switches, around >8000+ lumens total. The bulbs were incandescent, but I recently converted them over to LED flood lights (100w equiv.)

I'd like to set them up so that they mimic natural lighting (sunrise ---> sunset) ... idea is to light the room, not just the tanks.

I can handle a straight on/off lighting and turning all the can lights on and off using a Honeywell Econoswitch RPLS740B 7-Day Solar Time Table Programmable Switch. It uses an actual relay (rated @ 30A) ... but I'd prefer to ramp the lighting with a dimmable controller.

Anyone know of such an animal ?

Ideally, it would a single-gang wall box solution.

If can't find a commercially available solution I guess I could kind of mimic it using one or more lower wattage fixtures and wall socket timers, timing them to come on progressively, with the can lights in the ceiling eventually on for full illumination.

Thoughts ?

·
Registered
210 Posts
At a reasonable price? No.

However you can attach a 5 buck timer from home depot to any light setup to turn it on and off at given times if you don't want anything fancy. If you want more than that you kinda have to get one built into the LED itself or designed to go with it, and that costs a lot.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cyphro said:
At a reasonable price? No.
Depends on how one defines "reasonable" I guess ... 8)

Cyphro said:
However you can attach a 5 buck timer from home depot to any light setup to turn it on and off at given times if you don't want anything fancy. If you want more than that you kinda have to get one built into the LED itself or designed to go with it, and that costs a lot.
Yeah ... no.

I'm talking about controlling hard-wired, wall-switched permanently mounted recessed can fixtures (in a ceiling) that have (120v dimmable) LED bulbs mounted in them ... these are not something plugged into a wall outlet.

Like I said: SmartHome Insteon products:

Hub: around $65 and individual Insteon single-gang dimmer switch: $40

Supposedly has programable ramps for dawn to daylight, dusk to night settings ... controllable via a (free) smart phone app ...

Because of low-wattage draw of LED bulbs, I could probably use a single switch to control an entire room's lighting ... (switches are rated for 600W and 1000W)

If I had to replicate that on per tank/per fixture basis, the cost would be pretty rude ...

I picked up an Insteon hub and a couple of controllable Insteon switches from a friend yesterday and will be doing some experimenting later today to see if it will do what I'm looking for ...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.