Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so since this is my 1st canister filter (and because the 1st time I opened it I got a mini-flood), could you tell me the proper procedure for opening this canister up for cleanings?

Normally I wouldn't worry but...

a) I don't want another flood

b) I have the filter pads coming in a few days so I have to open it soon - running just bio media right now.

Thanks all!

Ps - this thing is SILENT now

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
You can go longer than you think before you need to open them. The more often you open them the greater chance to get a leak around the top oring. After the first few times you open one you will get a feel for how long 'tween maintenance you can go. I go 3 months and more onna 2026, usually when the hoses foul causing loss of flow I open them for cleaning.

If you have anything inline such as UV or heater turn them off. Unplug the can. Shut the valve to stop flow then depress that little red tab to allow the shutoff valve to close fully and release the hoses from the can.

Bring the can to a slop sink or wherever you perform maintenance and release the four clamps and remove the top. Ditch the top pad and remove the two trays. Empty the can and take the blue pad out from under the bottom tray handle and give it a good rinsing.

Some suggest to never use tap water but rather tank water to rinse and it is good advice. I use tap water and give the trays a good swish or three inna bucket until they rinse clean. Replace the blue pad under the bottom tray handle and reinsert the trays. The white pad goes over the top tray handle and under the green lattice.

Remove and clean the impellar and armature being very careful not to crack the ceramic shaft. Give a brushing to the housing where the impellar seats and rinse everything well. Replace the impellar and be careful as it will be drawn magnetically into the housing. Make sure it is seated properly in place and close the plastic retainer in place.

Remove the top Oring and give the groove a good once over to remove any gunk and re-lube the Oring with eheim lube or vaseline. I am generous here as I get leaks when I am careless with the lube but they usually always stop once the can is plugged back in after priming. Fill the can with tank water up to the green lattice then put the top on the can.

If you look thru the holes for the tubes you can line up the little telescoping tube in the top tray correctly as you replace the top of the can. This needs to align as the top makes contact.

If your hoses needs brushing nows the time to do it then reseat the hose assembly into the can. If you brush the hoses you will lose your prime so you will need to reprime the supply line back to the can. A quick push or two on the prime button should do the trick. Hopefully it works smoothly. :lol:

You should hear water flowing into the can once you open the valve on the hoses if you did not lose your prime. Wait a minute then plug it back in. Check for leaks. Tilt it if you hear air trapped. Plug in the UV and or heater.

:thumb:

:popcorn:

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Check out YouTube or google the model number.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts