Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
*** owned my XP4 canister filter for a month now, after 2 weeks running no problems I did a clean on it and put it all back and now I seem to have problems with water getting locked in the filter somewhere..

Its working and pumping and generally pretty quiet but constantly sounds like running water... There is air locked in there and after about 200 restarts, resets, checks and rechecks nothing has changed. I have even shaken the thing around a bit while running to try and "shake" the air out to the top and get it pumped out but with no luck.

it sounds like a tap running in the sink.. like running water, and have no idea how to stop it. I would like to hear if anyone else has had this problem and if this is something that can be fixed, if it really is a fault and what are my options..

At this point I feel like sending it back for a refund and switching to fluval or something cos after blowing a large sum of money i am really dissappointed. :-(

·
Registered
976 Posts
Try turning off the power, lift the Quick release lever, and pull up the valves...
Then put it back on, and turn power back on...

You might need to repeat two to three times to get all the air out...

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
CICHLUDED said:
Try turning off the power, lift the Quick release lever, and pull up the valves...
Then put it back on, and turn power back on...

You might need to repeat two to three times to get all the air out...

yeah *** tried this many times.. I am considering just leaving it running now and see what happens.

cheers anyway :thumb:

·
Registered
769 Posts
8) With the power off, remove head & double chk. baskets are properly seated. Replace & make sure all 4 clamps seat. Make sure hose clamps are secure. Make sure cap on inlet pipe is secure & all pipes are tightly fitted (something could have come ajar) Disconnect & reconnect quick release. With canister full, tilt about 45 degrees (you'll see air bubbles rise up the tube if trapped) DONOT SHAKE!! Tilt 45 degrees in opposite direction. let it sit a few minutes then plug it in. It should gurgle at the start for a min. or two but quiet after that. ( I take it you have no air stones or deco near the intake??) I haven't had air trapped in any of mine in quite sometime but when I did it took a few trys to sort out. "T"

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
good news.. the noise (and air) has gone away overnight.

Thanks for your help guys and I wont be shaking it i the future, the 45 degree tipping seems a good method i'll try that to speed it up next time.

:thumb:

·
Registered
769 Posts
:thumb: :thumb: Great news!! Tip actually came from an AP tech when I was pulling my hair out like you were so I figured I'd pass it on. (they should put it in the darn manual :) ) Good luck, "T"

1 - 6 of 6 Posts