Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 120 gallon tank, running a fluval G6 filter, and I have lots of tiny particals floating in the tank, and would like to clear them up, and find the cause. As for clearing them up, I bought a super fine "mechical" filter insert a few days ago, and also added some Seachem's "Clarity" to bind the particals together. I just got cloudy water for 2 days, and I still have lots of particals. Any suggestions on how to clear them up? Last water change was 7 days ago.

As for the cause, I am wondering if the foods I'm feeding are "dusty" and causing the particals.(As suggested my by LFS). Last night I feed "Omega One, super veggie, Kelp flakes", and I alternate between that and New Life Spectrum Cichlid Formula. If its the foods, that would explain why the "Clarity" didn't seem effective, because I feed them last night, 2 days after I added it. Has anyone had similiar problems with these foods? :-?

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Are you sure it's not micro bubbles? I would also avoid adding chemicals to try and clarify the water until you discover what the problem is.

I know tons on here use NLS with no problems. Try feeding just the NLS for a few days lightly and see if it helps your condition.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I turned off my air pump, and the particals greatly reduced. There are still some micro air bubbles, not sure how to get rid of those???? But the debris seems to be coming from under my two Acient Roman structures. They have air stones built in underneath, and I guess there must be particals of waste under there already, which are being pushed back up with the air. I expected to have to move them when doing a water change to clean the gravel underneath once every few months but not as early as 6 weeks. Maybe I will be cleaning under them every water change. They are quite large buildings.

Is there any way to get rid of the micro bubbles? The filter came with spray bars, but I didn't attach them because I thought they might make micro bubbles. Would the spray bars help or make things worse?

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
To have bubbles that persist, I find I have oil from food. If you turn down the air and let things settle out for a few minutes, you might be able to see this as a sheen on the water surface. My fix was to get more water movement at the surface. I added a cheapo power head and directed the water toward the surface. Worked in my case. Might check on it for you.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I feed the same foods as you do and have no cloudiness going on in my tank what so ever. I would bet it just junk getting stirred up from your air stones. Unless you really need to have the aeration I would leave them off for the night and see if it clears up.

Also I know some people claim to get these when their fine filter padding needs to be cleaned, but that is usually in the FX5's but might be worth a try if you haven't cleaned them in a while.

One last thought your filter intake isn't sucking in any bubble from you air stones are they? I have had that before and it would tend to blow out tiny micro bubbles since it was drawing in air from that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts