Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noticed today he wasn't eating and saw him flash and shake a few times. There is nothing visibly wrong with him. No spots, lesions etc. Water parameters are excellent and I do weekly water changes of 40% or so. The last change late sunday night. The only thing new in the tank is a small amazon sword plant I bought on friday. The only other thing is it got pretty warm here today and the tank temp went up to 82 degrees. Its usually kept at 78-80.

Any thoughts? Reading flashing can mean a parasite do you think I should quarentine him now or just watch him? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
174 Posts
it is so very hard to tell without visible signs. I had a bad string of parasite issues after purchasing a fish locally and adding it to my already stocked tank. I thought I would snuff it out then a week later it would come back. Several treatments of prazi and parasite clear later I finally got rid of it. One thing I found with treatment is you need to ensure you maintain the treatment, longer then you probably think. I finally got results after a week of treatment-5 days full dose and 2 half dose days, with the recommended water changes/wait periods in between. I now keep a 100 pack of tabs of parasite clear handy since its cheaper then in stores to order online and in bulk, and it allows me 10 treatments in my 100 gal.

Another thing I found was that usually once one fish started exhibiting symptoms, it meant the whole tank was effected. I found that out the hard way and gave up on quaruntining and began treating the entire tank as if it were infected.

It was a long and frustrating battle and really left a sour taste from the store I bought the fish from.

That being said, its hard to tell if it really is a parasite, or internal bacterial, or he is just being funky. I now treat right away just to be safe.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Flashing is kind of an iffy symptom. Coupled with not eating, it might be more significant, but I've seen pretty much all my mbuna flash (sometimes a number of times within minutes) and have never had an issue with parasites. What was the last time you fasted your fish? If it wasn't recently, maybe fast them for 2 days and see if he's hungry then.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
rgr4475 said:
Water parameters are excellent and I do weekly water changes of 40% or so.
Did you test? Check tank GH and KH as well if you can.
Were there any fish in the tank with the amazon sword? Did you add bag water when you added the plant? Did you happen to dip the plant before adding?
Definitely keep an eye on him for any other symptoms or a worsened condition.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
GTZ said:
rgr4475 said:
Water parameters are excellent and I do weekly water changes of 40% or so.
Did you test? Check tank GH and KH as well if you can.
Were there any fish in the tank with the amazon sword? Did you add bag water when you added the plant? Did you happen to dip the plant before adding?
Definitely keep an eye on him for any other symptoms or a worsened condition.
I have a GH and KH test kit and will get you those results shortly. The tank at the LFS with the Sword had what looked liked 2 chinese algae eaters in it. I did not add a bag of water. It was placed in the bag pretty much empty. Just residual water from what was on the plant. I also did not dip or rinse the plant.

I did not notice him flash today. He usually darts to the surface when I feed. Didn't do that again today but did go to eat a flake the floated down but he immediately spit it out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts