Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I'm getting ready to sell my White-Tail Acei, they are about an inch and a half. What's a good asking price? LFS'es have offered me about 50 cents (or a rude, almost angry sounding 'not interested', ugh, a good LFS is hard to find!). Seems awfully low to me, especially considering this area has very few of this particular species stocked anywhere, in any quality. I drove 4 hours for mine! Anyway, what should I ask from a private party, and what should I ask from an LFS?

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
If I'm trying to move my juvies I normally go $3-4/ea. The LFS will sell them for $8+ and the low price keeps individual happy and coming back for more. IME LFS don't want much to do with individual breeders, not many of them anyways. I've traded in 6-7" fish and they offered me all of $5 for the lot. I spent more buying the 1" fish from them a year prior, but they don't care.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What floored me was how rude some of these LFSs were, Like I offended them with the question "Do you buy Cichlid fry?". Some weren't too bad but jeeze, 50 cents, and thats probably store credit. I don't mind store credit, I'll spend it, but I'm hoping I can get more. Before long that's gonna be what happens though, they are all in a 29 gallon, running out of room.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
That's exactly what happens. If you really want to sell them, find a local fish club and join it. You will meet tons of people that you can swap or sell fish too. I prefer to trade fish for fish. I get new species, free fish, and so do they. Our club has auctions which is also a great place to get rid of some fish, or conventions and other various events they may hold.

In the defense of the LFS, when you're running a business like that, it's important to know what kind of fish you're getting too. Could you imagine if the LFS sold nothing but random fry people brought in? Things like the quality of the stock matter. They have breeders which they have to buy from to keep happy too. Of course, from some stories I heard, some LFS you can't be too sure what you're getting to begin with. I'm lucky to have a really good LFS to get cichlids from.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts