Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9,069 Posts
Prices are all over the place. It's worth it if they are what you want, but only if the fish are good.

Every fish is not the same, it's not like buying most things. Quality and pure breeding, how do you know? Why are they selling them? Rejects? Past their prime? Old fish that have been used as breeders but are now getting rid of? Males that are not good enough to use as breeding? Don't buy any fish without looking at them. Some sellers know little of they are talking about. A lot of ifs.

I've always found older fish harder to get established in tanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Probably depends a lot on the market in your area. That would be really high here. CL fish are sold cheaper than the local stores (for the most part). Those prices are very consistant for what I would expect to pay here locally for those fish at a very nice local fish store assuming they are 4-5" range. However, you may have a great breeder selling exceptional fish... Make sure and check them out.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Before you jump the gun on these fishes... I'd say.. get a hold of your local aquarium club and contact some of your local breeders.. I am sure you have some in your area.. get acquainted with the specifics of the species of fishes you are searching for... not all fishes by the same name are going to be the same in quality... and you are buying the fish itself.. not just the name that is being used to call the fish.. right.. so you want to make sure what you are buying is indeed representative of that particular fish.

If you are unsure... buy from a trusted and reputable source.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts