Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been stocking a male 125g tank with peacocks and haps for about a year and a half now, purchasing juvies and grown males and selling off females and any that do not get along well with the others. I know in the store I can usually expect to pay at a bare minimum $20 for a male peacock/hap but more than likely the cost is usually closer to $30-$50 for a decent sized (3.5-5") fully colored male. I usually try to sell off the extra males to local hobbysists and have done so for $5-10 each which I think is way more than fair. These are usually fish that I pay $5-8 dollars for with no color and take a chance on and grow to adulthood for six months to a year. The more expensive fish I am trying to get $20 for but it seems people balk at the price. Are my prices totally unreasonable? I would guess that most LFS do not offer much of a guarantee on livestock and what I am selling is usually in better shape than anything I have seen around my area so with my prices being considerably less, I do not see the advantage to paying more for the same thing at the LFS? I am not making money doing this and this was never the intention...just trying to recover some of my investment in my purchases.

·
Registered
623 Posts
For buying fish find your local wholesaler, if you pay cash they will do business as they just account what you buy as `losses`. I pay $9 for 4-6 inch colored up male haps and peacocks here in Canada so i would expect you to pay less.

For selling, your prices are not totally unreasonable however i would undercut retail by atleast 25% so if the store is selling a fish at $20 i would sell at $15. Thats pretty fair as long as fish are healthy. And im sure your fish are likely 100% better than at the LFS, so im sure its a fair price. People online think they can get everything for free.

·
Registered
87 Posts
if you were in my area and selling peacocks/haps that are healthy and good looking for 15-20 bucks, you and i would be doing alot of business.

·
Super Moderator
40,531 Posts
I think a person would have to work long and hard to develop a reputation to get the higher prices on large fish. I recently bought a show-quality 8" borleyi from such a person for $10.

So...the reason they balk is they can get the fish from other hobbyists or at an auction or for less.

I've also gotten deformed and mis-identified fish from long-time hobbyists with great reputations. So sometimes I will pay more to purchase from an LFS I trust or pay the same price plus shipping from a really good online vendor.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Here in the Kngdom of Thailand I have never paid more than $6 for the above adults and often less than $1 for fry for the above.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.