Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just bought 12 PSEUDOTROPHEUS DEMASONI "POMBO ROCK TANZANIA" at $6 each was that a bad buy for them. It seamed good compaired to other fish i have bought.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
$6 tends to be on the cheaper side for dems. breeders will have them for as low as $1-2 each, stores usually $5 at the very minimum, have heard of up to $20.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Not sure on the location, but Demasoni around here are $12-16 each. (at 1.5")

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
Fish prices vary widely, even within the U.S. Near me Demasoni sell for $15 at the local fish store and around $5 - $10 if you can get them from a local hobbyist. I'd say you got a good deal!

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
If they are real, good deal indeed. $12/ea here.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I just ordered 20 threw my lfs for $8 a piece and thats the best deal *** ever found so id say u did very well depending on what they look like.

·
Registered
52 Posts
good deal. LFS here has 1.5" dems for $8.99. their 2.5" are $12.99

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm surprised Dems are still so expensive considering how prolific they are in breeding. If you're paying over 10 dollars a fish, at least make sure they are full grown and have no bad barring. Sometimes I see local ads in the trading post or Aquabid selling them at $50 a dozen.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Yeah, but then you add $30 for shipping and the deal doesn't look as good.

I've been very skeptical about getting stuff from Aquabid, looks like everyone has Wild or F1's. Funny that.

Supply & demand - most times you can't tell online exactly what you're getting so that rule of $10/fish with no bad barring makes it pretty hard to achieve.

·
Super Moderator
40,487 Posts
They breed often but clutches are small. They are also one of the top two african cichlids in demand at fish stores (demasoni and yellow labs) because people buy color and they are colored at birth. I paid $14 each five years ago.

The LFS give me $13 in store credit these days for an adult.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Wow, had I any adults I'd only get $4. :(

·
Super Moderator
40,487 Posts
They do not pay that for other adults...just the demasoni. It's all about demand and what they can sell.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
That's what I meant, demasoni adults :)
(not that I even have any demasoni at all)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Glaneon said:
Yeah, but then you add $30 for shipping and the deal doesn't look as good.

I've been very skeptical about getting stuff from Aquabid, looks like everyone has Wild or F1's. Funny that.

Supply & demand - most times you can't tell online exactly what you're getting so that rule of $10/fish with no bad barring makes it pretty hard to achieve.
You have a point. Whenever I order cichlids online, the cost of overnight shipping pretty much doubles the price of the fish like with with the OB Labeos I recently ordered.

I usually get around 10-15 fry from Demasoni clutches but after culling the ones with bad bars and the inevitable deaths from aggression by the time they mature, I can see now why they still command a premium price(not to mention they are stunning as adults). I was going by a comment from one of the admins here a couple years ago where he said he couldn't even give away dems any more because the market was saturated. I think he was in Canada(?) so it probably varies by geographical location.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts