Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At one point I came across a post on another forum recommending that you drill a hole on the intake of a canister an inch or so below the water line. The idea is that if something goes wrong with the canister and it starts draining your tank onto the floor, it'll only drain till the water level in your tank gets to the hole you've drilled.

Has anybody done this? Any thoughts about it?

Thanks.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
It's not necessary for canisters. With both intake and outflow in the tank, how could it drain onto the floor? This is typically done with sumps though because the the tank could siphon out through the return line and overflow the sump.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm assuming the recommendation was based on the possibility that the spray bar slips out of position and starts spraying water out of the tank or if the hose from the outtake slips off the canister (both of these possibilities are not high probabilities if you've set things up properly but I guess it's an added precaution).

BTW I found the post that suggests doing this. It's post #11 at the link below.

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forum ... 60.&page=2

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Hey Zimmy.
I remember that tip, I personally wouldn't do it. In theory it makes sense, but I'm pretty sure in my tank, that little hole would be plugged after the first feeding. P.S, thanks for the link to the mag clips.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
I'm somewhat paranoid about leaks so work to avoid them. They are prone to happening anyway. That's why we call them accidents so I'm left with trying to limit the trouble. For my canister leak potential, I have it setting in a plastic tub with an alarm. In theory the leak will be a small one that the alarm lets me know about before the tub runs over.

This is one I use from Lowe's. I'm sure they are available other places as well. Seems like cheap insurance.
http://www.lowes.com/SearchCatalogD...logId=10051&N=0&newSearch=true&Ntt=water+alrm

·
Registered
177 Posts
The old Fluval canisters would sometimes crack (design fault from Hagan), and cause a major spill. I had this happen to me, but I caught it fairly soon after the crack happened, so I didn't have a lot of water to clean up. Hagan customer service were great, and replaced the canister, and when that one cracked, replaced the whole filter with one of the updated design. :thumb:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts