Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which 300G footprint would you prefer for a tank for large predatory haps?

My guess is most people would go with the latter since length is the most important factor. But I think the 6' x 3' could be better than the 8' x 2' for the following reasons.

1. Most of even the larger cichlids don't grow more than 14" - 16". So 6' seems like enough room length-wise for these fish. Obviously 8' is better, but ...
2. At 16" especially with a couple of large rocks and two overflows, there isn't a whole lot of room to turn around in 24" of space for these fish. They're almost forced to live in 2D. 3' of width gives them a real possibility of escaping a chase and just generally freedom in all four directions.
3. Not for the fish's sake as much as mine, visually a tank with depth is more visually appealing. This could just be a personal preference (and I guess here that's all that matters) but I think generally people find this to be true.

Obviously the best of both worlds isn't a possibility or I'd just go ahead and do that!

·
Registered
376 Posts
if you asking me cholile lolz but that just in case that u ask me :D i'll go with 96" long ...too me dont matter what do i keep the longer and wider tank is just better than high tank..easy to clean too :thumb:

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I say the longer the better, seems that territory gets broken up better that way.

·
Registered
413 Posts
If your going to have Ukata in the tank( Borlyi, azureus, and the like) then go for the 6'x3' with the deeper profile but if your going with Nimbo's, Fosso's and tyranis. then go with the 8'er. I say this because with the later the 6'er will not allow them to really escape as much as you might think, 1 Tail swipe front to back or 2 tail swipes left to right there going to be at the end of their tank in the 6'er of course. Atleast with 8' they can go left to right and make a quick turn to get out of the way.
Just my two and a half cents worth.

By the way if you happen to have both just liying around and don't plan to use bot I could use the other one with relitive ease :D I mean we practiclly live next door, a 2-3 hour door but close enough. :lol:

Good luck and post pics when you get it up and running.

G

·
My vote is also for a 8 footer. 6 feet is really not that long especially for a big fish. I used to have 6' 125G, and now I have a 7' 265G tank. The foot difference is amazing. Deep tanks are nice, but I love tall tanks. Mine is 30" high and I love it. How about 8'X3'X3'? Now, that would be an amzaing tank. :) Make it happen. :D

·
Registered
976 Posts
I agree…. A foot makes a big difference…

Are you building this tank? If so, you could split the difference, and make it 84x28x30….

Best of both worlds….

:fish:

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
not building it. at least that's not the plan at the moment. i'd like to avoid paying for a custom tank but may end up splurging on one. marineland just came out with the 6 x 3 tank which is why i ask.

tall tanks are definitely nicer, but more of a pain to maintain and offer minimal value to the fish themselves. my current tank is 26" tall and even this is taller than i'd like in terms of cleaning a tank. so i think the perfecto 7' which is 30" tall would be the max height i'd ever go for.

there's no doubt that no matter how large it is I'll find a way to want something even larger, but i'm still hoping to try and find a size that really is the largest needed to have a very attractive tank for predatory haps.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
If you don't mind me asking how much is your budget? How much are those tanks you are looking at buying? What size space do you actually have to work with? I take it you don't want to go smaller than 300 gallons but would you be open to going bigger?

Because depending on your budget and space limitations there could be some other options without it being "custom."

On a larger tank I personally prefer the width be the same size as the height and definitely nothing taller than 30". Tall tanks make maintenance a PITA and the more of a PITA it is the less frequent it will be done. Also the longer the better.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What larger tank is not custom and who manufactures it? I'm not exactly thrilled with glasscages so I'd rather go with another manufacturer. If it is better to discuss specific names not on a thread then by all means PM me those details.

I don't have a budget I'm trying to stay in as much as I'd like to maximize value. So for example given the fish I want I don't need a 1000 gallon tank. Just a waste for what I want. From talking to a few people any custom job will cost significantly more so I don't care to go there unless I decide for some reason it is really worth it.

Also, I have a strong preference for glass since with kids acrylic will always be scratched up.

The marineland 6 x 3 tank itself, reef-ready, I think is in the neighborhood of $1800 - $2000 though I have not looked carefully at the exact pricing yet. The only tank longer than 7' I know of is the glasscages 8' tank and I forget how much it costs, but it is on their website.

Given your comments and questions maybe I ought to rephrase my original question to this:

1. What would be the ideal dimensions for a tank for a max of two dozen larger haps (all in the 8" - 16") a couple of eels, one large pleco (say 12" - 16") and maybe another dozen fish in the 5" - 7" range? That's about the most I can imagine putting in any one tank.

2. What standard tank comes closest to those dimensions?
3. Approximately how much does the tank, reef-ready, cost?

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Anyone know the longest non-custom tank available (other than glasscages) and who manufactures it?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts