Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
I took some filter media (bags from Whisper filters) from a couple of 10 gallon HOB filters and laid it out across my wet/dry prefilter pad. I cycled my 180 to 3ppm in 8 days that way.

See below.

I had the output from the drains directly above them. Might work for you too.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
D-007 said:
Thread some fishing line through some pot scrubbies and hang them in front of the outlet of your HOB so that the water runs over/through them. They'll get seeded pretty quick and be ready to be placed in your 180g. 1 week will be good, 2 would be better.

I do this with foam blocks when getting a tank ready and will be doing it with pot scrubbies for my 125g

Regards,
D
That'd work. You don't need to seed them all. Just lay the seeded ones on top of unseeded when setting up. I'd go for at least 2 weeks also.

Once you add them to the wet/dry, do a fishless cycle to finish it out. I'm always cautious this way myself. Should only take about a week or so to cycle this way and then you can add the mbuna with peace of mind.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.