Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone!

I recently set up my first 38 gallon bow front tank. I currently have 12 cichlid in then take. My question if I just have a Cascade 1000 that creates NO surface agitation and have the canister filled with bio max and filter pads and poly-fill, Also the aquarium heater. Would this be fine for the cichlids? How many people set up there tanks this way? I just want this to work without a bubblier and other ****. Do I have to create surface agitation and or have a bubblier for oxygen? Sorry if this is a stupid question, i'm new to this.

·
Super Moderator
40,883 Posts
Hope you have small cichlids like shellies. What is the GPH of both your filters? You probably want some surface agitation, but the filters should create it without bubblers if there is enough circulation.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DJRansome said:
Hope you have small cichlids like shellies. What is the GPH of both your filters? You probably want some surface agitation, but the filters should create it without bubblers if there is enough circulation.
Thank you for the reply. I have peacocks,the canister is rated at 265gph and it's made for 100g tank. I just don't want another filter on it, I want to try to keep the back simple as possible but I will add another filter if I absolutely have to. I just wanted to see if I could possibly run a tank with peacocks with one canister filter and heater.

·
Registered
449 Posts
That filter is adequate for your 38g tank, not nearly enough for 100g, but that tank is way too small for 12 peacocks.

·
Super Moderator
40,883 Posts
My 38G is 36" x 12"...what are your dimensions?

I have had trouble keeping peacocks in the tank...I tried 1m:4f Aulonocara stuartgranti Maleri and they didn't kill each other, but they were constantly at war with females lurking under the surface. Won't do that again.

You could try 1m:4f of a more timid peacock like Kandeense.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
they are small peacocks but I took some out and put them in my brothers 55G. I have a Marineland 38G bowfront here are the dimensions from Petsmart 17.125" Deep; 32.25" Wide; 25.719 " High

·
Super Moderator
40,883 Posts
1m:4f of a timid peacock like Kandeense. The ones I tried were not large fish...it is more of an aggression problem. Best of luck with your tank.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DJRansome said:
1m:4f of a timid peacock like Kandeense. The ones I tried were not large fish...it is more of an aggression problem. Best of luck with your tank.
Same to you, Thank you!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts